MobilePre with a Laptop?

bikescene

Hi, I'm going off to college in the fall, and I'm going to bring a new laptop with me. I want to be able to record my guitar amp, a Roland Cube 60, while I'm there.

I've been doing some research reading reviews on the Internet and doing some searches on this site, and I think that I might get an M-Audio MobilePre with an SM57 or a Sennheiser e609.

Do you think this is a good setup with a laptop? Are there any common problems recording with laptops in general? Are there alternatives which I should consider? Thanks in advance.

i think it's a good option. i have one and have been plugging it incessantly on these boards. i happen to be selling mine just cuz i happen to be outgrowing it, but i have a link to this in the forsale section of this board. if you're just recording yourself, it's a good tool. this is especially good if you want a condensor mic to use as well. the two channels are usually good for most home recorders. there's also the fast track which only has one channel and no phantom power. there are some other similar devices but the exact names escape my mind. i'd imagine all are similar. performance wise, it's a good card and gives me good quality http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=231480&T=8714 these are some songs i've recorded with this. anyway, i'm sure others will chime in, but this device will always get my vote

bike. do yourself a favour and look seriously at an amd 64 laptop.
very fast !! just make sure you get an internal 7200 rpm fast hard drive and 512 ram. if youy want more suggestions - ask.

I'm a current college student with a so-so-so limited space.. I have edirol UA-5 on my table which pretty much does all I need while I'm at school. 2 tracks sim. recording and plenty of outputs. I have a 1.4GHz Centrino with 60Gb Hard drive. Recording into Tracktion. Planning to get a new mic preamp soon though...

hehe, and I use Roland cube as well.. those things rock! :D

hey traidma, thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look into the Edirol UA-5. How does it work with a laptop setup?

And to manning1, i'll definitely look into that when i finally go computer hunting. I have an Athlon XP 3000 in my current computer and i like how its running.

It works perfectly. Although some people say that USB sucks for audio.. I havent had a single problem. Deeply recommend. I got mine for $140 from Ebay.. so you might wanna look around there.

yeah, i dont buy the argument that usb isn't good for audio. it's not the best of course, but for people like you guys (and myself) who just hang out and record demos alone, these usb devices are great and give us just what we need and nothing more. this Edirol UA-5 looks like its better than the mobilepre in that it does 24 bit audio, the mobilepre does 16bit (still cd quality, but i guess 24 bit gives you more to work with). i guess the only disadvantage of the ua-5 is that it has to be plugged into the wall whereas the mobilepre doesn't, but that's just a minor issue. i'm going with the m-audio delta 1010lt pci card now because it'll help me in terms of office organization and in terms of desktop recording performance, but i'm still a fan of usb as a way to record. i would be lightyears behind in recording if i didnt have this device.

Back