Mo' bass!

Sagar

Hi Everyone.

After hearing my "perfect" mixes in other listening environments, I have come to realize that I tend to add way too much bass to everything. The thing is that it all sounds fine in my small home studio. This probably means that I am not getting adequate bass response from my room, eh? Anyone know of any quick (and, hopefully, cheap) way of getting the room to be more bass-y?

btw I am monitoring off a pair of Tannoy SBMs and a pair of Jansson 660s. I just switch back & forth to check relationships, etc.

Thanks!!

Well.....

I would think that if you put up studio foam behind the monitors, it would kill some of the high frequencies but not touch the bass frequencies and therefore making the room more bassy.

my .5 cents :D

-tkr

This is a common problem Sagar. I personally believe that flat is not flat anymore and the goal posts have been shifted in favour of less bass, more highs and consequently louder tracks.

What I'm saying is it's not necessarily your room, more your mastering.

cheers
John

Huh?

Hi John.

How can that be? When I have clients over and we mix a song, we all usually agree that we have nice balance of bass/treble. When we pop the mix into another CD player, it always is the case that we hear waaaaaay too much bass in it. How can this be a sign of mastering if we all heard it sound good before?

Sagar

OK - so what happens when you play other CDs in your room. Do they sound bass light or correct?? ;)

cheers
john

I am having the same problem

hi john and all,

can you also help me with this. My problem is that my mixes are a bit muddy. It sounds like it was well mixed, with a little bit of mud thrown in to cover up stuff.

I have compared it to commercial mixes on the same system. It alsmost sounds like if the monitors are covering up a certain low frequency.

I mean, the mixes sound really tight on my system, but listening on headphones makes them sound like you know what.

What can I do. I already have foam behaind the speakers, but not extending down to the ten inch woofers, so that it will not cover up my sound port or the bass, but it still translates poorly.

please listen to this mp3 and kindly give suggestions on how I can fix it.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/rockpop/jaguarslogic

the song is "god in your eyes". the other song was done on different speakers, in a different room.

thanks

Playing CDs in my room

Hi John.

Sorry for the delay; lots of scoring gigs this week.

To answer your question, when I play commercial CDs in my studio, I lose a lot of the bass on them. I am almost tempted to run the CD through my EQ & boost up the bass a few notches.

That leads me to believe that the room itself is eliminating bass frequencies, hence my tendency to mix bass extra hot, simply to hear it. When I play the mix in another environment, however, the bass kills everything else.

What do you think? And what can I do about this?

Thanks for your help.

Sagar

Re: Playing CDs in my room

I saw above you have Tannoys. Very nice!

Anyway, I have a seperate amp and a subwoofer I can switch in and out to avoid or add bass as necessary. I listen to my CD master (before sharing it) on an aiwa shelf system, my studio, an old panasonic boom box, and the surround DTS stereo in my living room. By comparing, and taking notes for each listening, you can make an overalll "average" adjustment for better recordings overall.

Sagar said:
Hi John.

Sorry for the delay; lots of scoring gigs this week.

To answer your question, when I play commercial CDs in my studio, I lose a lot of the bass on them. I am almost tempted to run the CD through my EQ & boost up the bass a few notches.

That leads me to believe that the room itself is eliminating bass frequencies, hence my tendency to mix bass extra hot, simply to hear it. When I play the mix in another environment, however, the bass kills everything else.

What do you think? And what can I do about this?

Thanks for your help.

Sagar

Back