MK012 defect? Is this normal? Look at pic please.

umair

Hi.
I just opened up the box to my MK012 that I just purchased. I guess it has the 10dB screwable pad thing... well One of htem looked fine and the other had a big scratch in the middle through it. Is this normal? I don't know too much about these microphones and I was wondering if it is going to affect performance. Here is a pic of it...

http://www.what-exit.com/temp/oktava.jpg

Please let me know if I should return it and get a new one... from what I could tell I didn't really here any difference but then again I'm not sure.

Originally posted by umair on the Req: GC $50 post
...So I talked them down to $130 for the pair. this is for Oktava MK012. Just bought them today actually.

According to that info, you have two of them -- just test it yourself -- try using the 'working' -10dB capsule and record, then record the same thing (hopefully!) with the scratched -10dB capsule. Use the same mic for this test.

If you're worried about not being able to play the same thing exactly, try recording a speaker playing your favorite song :)

Newbie Language!

I was looking real closely at that picture -- is that.. plastic-looking circle around the nipple looking thing cracked as well?

Compare to the other -10dB pad and find out.

I would but I'm at home and not near my studio right now.
I don't have jack over here to record (with any decent quality at least).... I did test it using my RNP and speakers and couldn't hear any major difference but its kind of hard to tell when I don't here them both together...

The second one looks just fine... I'll probably use it tomorrow (GC is closed on Sundays here) and I'll swap it out on Monday just to be on the safe side.

Re: Newbie Language!

D. Parting said:
I was looking real closely at that picture -- is that.. plastic-looking circle around the nipple looking thing cracked as well?

Compare to the other -10dB pad and find out.

Good catch... looking at it in person its still hard to tell but I think it is cracked a little bit....

Here is a pic of the other pad...
This one looks fine:
http://www.what-exit.com/temp/oktavagood.jpg

That scratch is just where the wrench that was used to tighten the retaining ring slipped out of one of the holes and scratched the ring - that won't make any difference in performance.
I don't think the other crack will make any difference, as long as the center post is free to move in the hole. Get a pen or pin or sometheing similar and push down on the center post - as long as it moves freely up and down I'd guess it will work OK.
Another example of Oktava's great workmanship and quality control.

crazydoc said:
...I'd guess it will work OK.
Another example of Oktava's great workmanship and quality control.

Shhh! I just bought two via mail order, don't get me nervous or anything. ;)

I knew about the Quality Control issues when I got them... actually if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't have even noticed the scratch. I only have 14 days to return them so I just want to make sure they are ok.

Back