Mixing Woes

Hover

I have been having troubles with some mixing I have been doing latly and I was hopeing someone might be able to shed a little lite on why. The problem is I am trying to mix a song with 21 tracks recorded at 44.1kHz, 24 bit. The trouble occures when I start adding EQ, when I reach only 4 or 5 tracks with EQ the audio starts to click and skip. I am running a 1.67 GHz Powerbook with 2 gig of ram with Cubase LE through a presonus firebox. I have performed all of the OS X audio optimizations that I have read about (excluding running the audio material off of an external hard drive) Note that I have not added any plug-ins at this point I have only the 5 tracks I'm mixing with the Cubase LE EQ solo'ed. Everyone I have talked to about it said that I shouldnt be having any problems at this point. Is there anything I can do that will allow me to mix more than 3 tracks at a time? Or am I just simply asking too much of my computer? Any help would be appreciated, I have been waiting awhile to get this setup working so I can start doing some serious recording and music production.
Thanx

Does Cubase have any options for setting buffers? You might poke around in the options menus and see if you can't make them larger.

Yeah I have tried that and it didnt seem to make any difference. I increased both the number of buffers and the buffer size.

That does present another question I was thinking about though. How much can you increase the buffer sizes and latcy and still mix properly without running into problems? Or is this only a problem while recording?

That's weird. I only got 256 megs of ram and i can eq more tracks than that. I was thinkin about gettin more ram. Is 2 gigs pretty fast on everything else?

I cant understand that problem, it seems like your computer is fast enough, The only thing I can say is to try and reload Cubase.

Back