mixing with monitors -pc speakers result help

sk0m

I mix with my m auddio bx5a monitors and then export the songs and listen thme to my sony hi-fi system and then make adjustments so that they are heard properly right . But when i get to listen them from a friends logithech speakers the result is not the same(its worse) suggest me
1)get a pair of good pc speakers
2)get the mix heard from my monitors only?
3)anything else you think

Noob question but give me some help apreciated

Mix out the finer stuff (pops, hiss, stereo placement) with headphones.
Do as much as you can with real monitors.
Burn it to CD or MP3 player to listen on various entertainment systems.
At least, that's what I'm doing.

thnx ! buti only do record with headphones never used them to mix
and can u answer plz one more wuestion i got??
i have seen a sound enginner at my older studio that took the exported version of a song and then imported it back to cubase as i single wave file and altered something that made the wave look full .(i thing something with the gain ) what is it, and why has this to be done ?

What format are you listening to the files in on the external speakers.... and via what device?

The point of mixing using monitors is that they're meant to be relatively "flat" in response, or accurate - in theory, if you do it right, a well mixed track should should sound good on whatever you listen to.

I don't know much about Logitech... only things I've ever seen from them are (I think) iPod docks... makes me wonder what you're listening to.

The process with the WAV file, if it's what I'm thinking you're describing, is called a few things.. I've heard optimisation and normalisation as some of its names. Used to bring the volume up, as far as possible, to the current commercial level using (I think) compression... but I'm not an expert.

I've used the version in Audacity to "enhance" files I've created from LPs, which are typically quieter than CDs... sometimes it sounds good, sometimes it doesn't, but Audacity ain't exactly cutting edge, I would think.

Cheers

What format are you listening to the files in on the external speakers.... and via what device?

The point of mixing using monitors is that they're meant to be relatively "flat" in response, or accurate - in theory, if you do it right, a well mixed track should should sound good on whatever you listen to.

I don't know much about Logitech... only things I've ever seen from them are (I think) iPod docks... makes me wonder what you're listening to.

The process with the WAV file, if it's what I'm thinking you're describing, is called a few things.. I've heard optimisation and normalisation as some of its names. Used to bring the volume up, as far as possible, to the current commercial level using (I think) compression... but I'm not an expert.

I've used the version in Audacity to "enhance" files I've created from LPs, which are typically quieter than CDs... sometimes it sounds good, sometimes it doesn't, but Audacity ain't exactly cutting edge, I would think.

Cheers
to waV and mp3 format! i have mymonitors connected with my external "sound card-m audio tracker pre" and my pc spekares are a sony sound system"

i have seen a sound enginner at my older studio that took the exported version of a song and then imported it back to cubase as i single wave file and altered something that made the wave look full .(i thing something with the gain ) what is it, and why has this to be done ?

A louder shit sounding mix will still be a shit sounding mix, only louder.

do some reading on room treatment and acoustics

I'm trying to ascertain whether you're comparing a WAV file on one system with an MP3 on another - I still don't know.

If you're listening to an MP3 at all as part of your process for checking your mix, you need to think about what's converting it and at what resolution.

I'd be trying to find a third device / set of speakers and see what it sounds like... more like yours or more like your friends.

And can you give a bit more information on what "worse" means?

As well as how you have your monitors set up - ie. are they near walls / corners etc. what height are they...

Could be that you can't "hear" what you're monitoring properly because of the set up as someone else alluded to.

Hard to tell without actually hearing the mix.

Good luck..

I mix with my m auddio bx5a monitors and then export the songs and listen thme to my sony hi-fi system and then make adjustments so that they are heard properly right . But when i get to listen them from a friends logithech speakers the result is not the same(its worse) suggest me
1)get a pair of good pc speakers
2)get the mix heard from my monitors only?
3)anything else you think

Noob question but give me some help apreciated

Both your sets of bx5a and Sony speakers are likely to be better than the Logitech speakers. Mix for those.

i am sure they are but.. Anyway i have not the best monitor setup ever but they are not placed in corners and bass is not building up the monitors are also set up at the perfect angle and sound treatment is coming soon.
My friends logithech speakers were located inside a display cabinet so maybe it was too bassy due to that !Anyway i will probably take youy word and mix with my monitors all the way

sound treatment is coming soon.

There you go then. It's impossible to get a good sounding mix that will travel to other systems in an untreated room because there is so much going on that you CAN'T hear. Importance of your gear should read:

1) ears
2) Room Acoustics
3) Monitors

Without them 3 at the top it won't matter too much the quality of your convertors, mics or other gear in your chain. Those are the hard facts. Once you have your room sorted out and you realise them BX5's are hyped you'll be able to work around their limitations.

Get as many commercial CDs as you can played through them and actualy LEARN how the monitors sound. Everyone has to learn their gear and the only way to do that is with the most important tool you own, your ears.

There's an abundance of info on how to treat your room correctly and on the cheap on this site and a few others. Good luck with it.

Back