Mixing with compression

pM of impk21.co

I know this question has been probably asked a grip of times. But let me ask again from my situation.

Currently I use wav form sounds (internal sound waves). So they are not compressed or tweakt its just the raw sound. If I use just the raw wavs and mix the song with eqing, the bass/kicks never match up to what I feel they should. I am advised not to use compression cuz we want to have it mastered professionally. But if I did compress and get good sound, which I have, what is the difference between that and people sampling basses/kicks from sample cds and commercial cds. Those are all compressed and tweaked to the maX, I honestly feel that is why my beats lack deep bass and strong kicks when I compare my beats to some of my crew's beats, there bass sounds smooth and full cuz they use actual samples, so compared to mine, mine just sound weak. Any suggestions?

Maybe there's a misunderstanding -

Compress, EQ, Verb, etc. all you want, to taste at the track level. The thing you don't want to do is compress the main stereo buss. And of course, be careful not to overcompress anywhere.

Once you are "aware" of it - reverb, compression, eq, etc., it might be too much. That's not a rule, just a "rule of thumb." If there's a particular effect or sound you're going for, by all means go for it.

Hope that helps...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Cool, I see where you are coming from. Yeah, I never add an over all compression even though my sampler does have that option. I sometimes will add an over all compression to the beat if I am going to use it for shows n things since Im not going to obviously send a show instrumental off for mastering, but that helps clear some thing up. Thanx, pm

Back