mixing vocals, way too much high end.

ImDisjointed

View attachment Black forest.mp3I got a track that I'm mixing/mastering, and there's me, and another guy on it. We both have scarlett 2i2 preamps, but I have an audio technica at4040, and he has a rode nt1a.
The problem I got is that he sounds really smooth, while I sound just a little too "crisp". I tried eq'ing out the high end a lot, but then it just sounds bad. I'm not quite sure what to do, so any help is appreciated.
Also, I'm second in the preview.

Is it sibilance, or just a sharp edge on the whole vocal?

Chances are, there is one frequency or frequency range that is messing with you. If you can find just that point, you can either use a de-esser set to that frequency, or you can just cut that range a bit.

If that doesn't work, set a gentle low pass filter at about 8k and see where that puts you. If it is still too bright, bring the frequency down. If it's too dull, move it up.

If that does too much, use a shelf.

I have a 4033, and it can get a little bright on vocals sometimes.

Without listening to the track (sorry), can you retrack? And get closer to the mic and get a bit more proximity effect going... might help balance the tops a little (which will still be there, most likely) and get you a less harsh sound...

The other thing I'd suggest, if you can't fix it and it's an ongoing issue, is learn to sing differently... my recording voice is way, way, way different from my live voice... I have to make myself sing a certain (different) way to get a good recorded sound - more breath, lower volume, softer approach etc.

Plus, what everyone else said, too...

Good luck!

In my opinion both voices sound fine.
The second is, perhaps, a little clearer but not by much.
If anything I'd try to make the first voice match that!

Maybe you're just focussing on/thinking about your own voice too much? That's common.

The high end on the vocals is pretty much spot on, they don't sound over sibilant to me, I honestly prefer the slightly mellower at2020 sound than the rode nt1 in this case.

Since the vocalist sings low & smooth i suggest he tries to record him a bit close(4-5 inches away from the mike),use different mikes for texture! Note: dont over eq (boost) all vocals! Dont try to use EQ for quality!

I'm very surprised to hear that an AT4040 turned out brighter than and NT1A. In my experience AT series mics lack the hyped top end of other cheap condensers and have much mellower sound.

Maybe treat your room with bit more dampening (blankets, mattresses, etc), turn the gain down a little, get closer to the mic to get more proximity effect and if all else fails use a dynamic EQ to dynamically attenuate problematic freqs.

Cheers :)

PS. For jest:

1904038_626567790752503_1399026447_n.jpg

I'm very surprised to hear that an AT4040 turned out brighter than and NT1A. In my experience AT series mics lack the hyped top end of other cheap condensers and have much mellower sound.

I agree there the AT mics usually sound less harsh and mellower, you just need accurate monitors to be able to hear the difference, the rode mics can be harsh from my experience in the high end.

I've never understood the "harsh" high end critique of RODE mics. I've tried both the NT1a and NT2a and both of them don't have harsh high end. In fact, the NT1a almsot had less high end than the NT2a.

My NT2a's have a crispy high end, sure. But I wouldn't call it harsh.

I have both mic's and the NT1a is a little toppier that the AT, the AT seems a little warmer and i generally use it to record acoustic guitar but have used it for vocals on mellow songs, I love the Rode for vocals though and how I overcame the problem your having is to sing off axis to the mic, I just turn the mic in the shockmount until the corner edge of the mic is facing me, take a bit of time trying different angles and you'll eventually find one that works, As far as I can remember (altho I'm not 100% sure so don't qoute me), there is a boost at 10k in the rode which can be flattened by singing off axis. Hope this helps.

View attachment 85743I got a track that I'm mixing/mastering, and there's me, and another guy on it. We both have scarlett 2i2 preamps, but I have an audio technica at4040, and he has a rode nt1a.
The problem I got is that he sounds really smooth, while I sound just a little too "crisp". I tried eq'ing out the high end a lot, but then it just sounds bad. I'm not quite sure what to do, so any help is appreciated.
Also, I'm second in the preview.

I would think it would be better if you both tracked in the same room with the same mic.

I'm guessing that you are the second vocal that comes in at the end of the clip? Yes, that sounds thin and spitty to me. Barring anything you have done post recording, I'd say you need to get closer to the mic and take advantage of the proximity effect. Avoid setting a hpf above 80hz on a lead vocal, use a low shelf in conjunction with a hpf to balance your low end - hpf's just throw it all away.

The mid range is also important, that 200-400Hz octave has allot of body to it so don't throw it away on your vocal EQ.

Back