Mixing Vocals over Pre-recorded Audio

dvs recordings

My application is to track vocals over pre-recorded audio (Karaoke). God I hate that word! Love to sing but don't like the word. My concern is that the music is already mixed and mastered. Is there any thoughts on problems I might incur by introducing new audio to that music . What about adding reverb to the vocal track. Well of course, but do I add to the original mastered music via plug ins as well?Or do I leave the music alone. Any thoughts out there.

Dave

I only did that a couple of times but if I recall I had to EQ the mastered material so the vocals sat better in the mix. You shouldnt have to do much else.

As long as you get the Eq to match up, and use enough compression so your vocal levels aren't jumping all over the place, you will be fine....

I would try and Eq the vocal rather than the Karaoke tune.... The Karaoke tune has already been mastered by a Pro (most likely) and I would avoid altering it... instead, eq the vocal to fit with it...

Good Luck.

I didnt mean to suggest that you dont have to EQ the vocal. That goes without saying, along with whatever chorus, reverbs, flange or whatever.

Cheers guys

I just thought that trying to create a proper mix with already mastered material would not sound right.I guess I have to try and understand a little better the theory behind it all. Thanks for the encouragement. Hey Voxvendor how do you get the little icons to appear in the text wherever you want them to be?

Regards,
Dave

Bowmanville Huh.....

Im from The Hamilton Area.... Howdy Neighbour :D

There is a box to the left when you are typing a post.. Just pick a little icon and wherever the curser is, it will appear...

Joe;)

Icons

I'm not sure what box on the left you are talking about Joe. Do you see it appear right away as you are typing? Been to Hamilton a few times when I was a kid and through it many times on my way to Niagara. Howdy to you too!

What Icons are you talking about... the little yellow faces??

Or are you meaning the avatar, like my pro tools thing??

i record vocals over instrumentals i made at a different studios, so i just pop the cd in the cd player hook it to my main mixer and just make sure the eq is ok then im good to go

dvs...

I recently did this...

with one of VOX's tunes! :)

You probably know this but make sure you pull back the fader on the song you are mixing the vocals into. Most songs are mastered hot so you need to create some room to add the vocals into.

If I recall I imported the song into the DAW...pulled the gain down a dB or 2 then mixed in the tracked vocals which already had the effects inserted. Basically you just need to play with the "song" fader and vocal fader until they sit.

If you knew this...disregard... :)

zip >>

Hey Zip thanks. Vox it's the little yellow faces I was talking about. Please advise cause I'm still out in lala land over this one.

Dave

dvs recordings said:
Hey Zip thanks. Vox it's the little yellow faces I was talking about. Please advise cause I'm still out in lala land over this one.

Dave

Open up a Reply Box, and right next to the space you type are little faces...

Make Sure you don't have "Disable Smilies" checked at the bottom of the post box.... If you do... then yeah the smilies won't show up.....

Bowmanville=La La Land :D

Back