Mixing videos from Change.

Hey Change.

Nice videos. I mostly use Pro Tools. I was checking out the part 1 video. I had a little tip for drum tracks also.;) I get people giving tracks to mix with the drums all together. I normally use SoundReplacer to replace the kick and snare with another sample. Works good if the drum track is mixed bad.

Also, in Pro Tools you can use "Strip Silence" which can separate the kick and snare. Then what I do is put the kick and snare on it's on track. But, this only realy works on Hip Hop tracks. Not good for live.

Hey Change.

Nice videos. I mostly use Pro Tools. I was checking out the part 1 video. I had a little tip for drum tracks also.;) I get people giving tracks to mix with the drums all together. I normally use SoundReplacer to replace the kick and snare with another sample. Works good if the drum track is mixed bad.

Also, in Pro Tools you can use "Strip Silence" which can separate the kick and snare. Then what I do is put the kick and snare on it's on track. But, this only realy works on Hip Hop tracks. Not good for live.

Never heard of SoundReplacer before. :confused:

Is it available for other DAW's or just ProTools?

Um. I think Digidesign is the only one that makes it. RTAS.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&itemid=1059

It's real useful to replace tracks that were recorded bad. Like say you recorded a kick drum that was recorded bad for a band. You can replace it with a live kick drum that sounds good.

But, I guess you could also try this. But, I never really use it. You could use an expander gate plugin, then add a side chain that triggers a midi note evertime the gate triggers. Then you just assign a sample sound to that midi note. I heard about it, but never really did it. :rolleyes:

Um. I think Digidesign is the only one that makes it. RTAS.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&itemid=1059

It's real useful to replace tracks that were recorded bad. Like say you recorded a kick drum that was recorded bad for a band. You can replace it with a live kick drum that sounds good.

But, I guess you could also try this. But, I never really use it. You could use an expander gate plugin, then add a side chain that triggers a midi note evertime the gate triggers. Then you just assign a sample sound to that midi note. I heard about it, but never really did it. :rolleyes:

That would be using the key input on the gate in hardware terms.

Here's 3 videos from a mixing session. I told you guys I'd make some videos way back, I finally got around to editing the one I filmed back like, 2 months ago.

https://youtube.com/user/Chumpchiggy

It's not really a tutorial or a teaching video per se, but just letting ya'll in on my process somewhat.

peace doc, like that track i see u on cool edit 2.0 over their. The only thing that had me saying wtf wuz how high your monitors were.

If you seen my homie's monitor location you would start laughing!
But he nails it everytime............No joke, he's as unorthodox as they come. But his reply is whatever works for me! That's words to live by!

Peace

peace doc, like that track i see u on cool edit 2.0 over their. The only thing that had me saying wtf wuz how high your monitors were.

Adobe Audition 1.5 is the DAW of choice.

I answered the same comment on another forum... I usually stand when I mix, about 4 ft back from the desk. Just my preferance, but I couldn't do that and stay in frame for the video.

I answered the same comment on another forum... I usually stand when I mix, about 4 ft back from the desk. Just my preferance, but I couldn't do that and stay in frame for the video.

Never heard of that one Change, but preference is preference. I bet it helps you maintain focus on mixing though. I peeped them and will probably get another good look at them once I get some things taken care of over here.

BTW Man I'm HOPING that the floods over in Kansas and N. Oklahoma DO NOT come this way!!!! I'm about an hour to an hour and a half away from that flood.

Same here. I have a set of speakers hear high when you sit looking at the monitor, then 2 more sets up high when you stand. It gives 2 areas to judge from...

Change is a buster. look close - he has little orange ear plugs in. he mixes from a checklist, not by what it actually sounds like. :rolleyes:

:eek::D:cool:

word up on those monitors.. rocking the same pair.

'preciate the vids. recently got protools, slowly learning to properly mix my/and other local artists music.

word up on those monitors.. rocking the same pair.

'preciate the vids. recently got protools, slowly learning to properly mix my/and other local artists music.

How do you like Protools????????

I have Sonar and was thinking of going the protools route!

Watcha think? It looks to be a lot more expensive!

How do you like Protools????????

I have Sonar and was thinking of going the protools route!

Watcha think? It looks to be a lot more expensive!

I love it, man. its a big step up from the harddisk i was using before.
first software multitrack ive used though, im sure i would have loved any program i went with... software > hardware.

Back