Mixing software

Which Software do you recommend for mixing and editing?

• Cakewalk

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Acid Pro (Sonic)

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • n-Track

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am in the market for a new mixing software and I have heard good things about n-Track....any pro's or con's?
Am I allowed to post a poll?
Whoops...sorry if you guy's don't like polls...It's only on for 10 days.

Cool Edit Pro is really good........I have N-tracks but I rarely use it.It crashes my computer everytime I use it.I think the crashing is a result of using too many effects,EQ cmpression etc..LOL...You might get more feedback over in the N-tracks forum about it's pro's and cons.

One pro is the price of it.I dont think you'll find another piece of Multi-Track-editing software for the price of N-track.......it's a full blown studio.

It is probably the case with a lot of multi-tracking software I haven't used many different kinds. The more tracks and effects you are using the more computer intensive. N-track will run better on different OSs than others and will not run with less than 128RAM. Windows ME does not do too good with any music software (from what I hear it doesn't do good with much of anything). I am running Windows XP, 1.7ghz celeron, 256mb DDR RAM with n-track. With 5 tracks and at least one effect on each track my cpu usage has not got over 20%.
One of my friends has a pretty good studio and was using Nuendo with a 800mhz 128mb RAM Windows Me pc and it was a crashing nightmare.

If I had $250 to spend on software I would probably go with Cool Edit Pro, it has good wave editing capabilities and an excellent reputation. However, at $45 N-track is hard to beat, especially when you consider the amount of free plugins on the net. I have CEP 1.2a which is a decent little wave editor, way better than Goldwave, which is the one I was using before. Both programs work well enough on my P2 350 MHZ, 128Ram system.

hell's bells

just downloaded the n-track software on Friday and it is already freezing up my computer...have had to unplug the damned thing twice so far. cant even control alt delete
I have ME...sucks for me I guess.
I would have to get an new operating software I guess...but computer has "accident" written all over it...it might take a nasty spill out the window some day. ;)

Re: hell's bells

bdbdbucksKID said:
just downloaded the n-track software on Friday and it is already freezing up my computer...have had to unplug the damned thing twice so far. cant even control alt delete
I have ME...

Dont say I didnt warn you.LMAO!;)

Yeah, I heard 98ME is horrible. I have the original Windows 98 and it works fine on my machine. Probably best to dump the ME and try and get a hold of 2000.
Have you downloaded the demo version of Cool Edit Pro?

I didn't know your OS was ME..........what a gaff, I'm sorry I talked you into it now! I've sent you 3 e-mails regarding getting this thing up and running, I don't know how to fix it now.

bdbdad

Everything I've ever read about doing any kind of music on your computer says that Windows ME and music do not go together. Seems like you would be able to get 98 or 98se at a discounted (or free) price.
I just remembered something else. When researching doing music on a computer what I heard over and over was that the most stable OS to use with music is 2000 Pro.

I have head the same about 2000 pro. It seems that a lot of people also prefer it over Windows XP. This seems to be an endless debate on some forums.

Verdict

Found out that I have a lousy 64MB in this computer...so went ahead and ordered 256 and upgrade to XP...let's see how it goes. BTW, was just on the n-track website...the registration is 70, but then the additional plug-ins look to be about 40 bucks, and still doesn't have as much as cool edit. It's still not 250.00. I'll try the n-track once I am up and running, and if I am not happy with it, I'll go Cool Edit.
Thanks for you help guys!!!

You are talking about the 24 bit n-track. The 16 bit is $45. What do you need the 24 bit for? Also, check for other free plugins before buying the fasoft ones. I've found some great free ones. Of course, if you've got the money go ahead. I'm just a tight wad.

Yes, I agree.....16 bit is CD quality. Anything more is a waste. The d/l comes with a few basic plug-ins and then there's tons more free plug-ins available. Slack has a pile of em listed on his website.

bd

With 256 Ram and XP, I see a happy N-track user on the horizon. :)
By the way, the 16 or 24 bit issue is another endless debate. Personally, I think at our level 16 bit is fine. Anyway, I wouldn't be able to hear the difference on my equipment.

GREEK

The only thing I know about bits is video games...a long time ago there was the 8 bit Sega and Nintendo....now God only knows how many bits my PS2 has!!!

I think you can put a bit in a horses mouth. I heard it helps to drive one.

I think bits has something to do with money too. The cheerleaders at our football games used to say; two bits, four bits, six bits a dollar, all for the Chieftains stand up and holler.

Come to think of it, I know it has something to do with money because in those cowboy movies the cowboy would go up to the bar and get a bottle and the bartender would say "that'll be two bits".

Back