Mixing secrets by sonusman

I've already read that thread, post-sonusman. Do a search on duckface's mixing secrets. It's a useful read, but it's already available on the site. Nobody can keep all that quacking quiet for long, I guess.

I get a kick out of the guys posting to ask whether that post is worth reading. Hell, if you're so lazy you can't read it to find out yourself, give up right now, you'll never record anything worth hearing.

Yeah, you damn right! And I'm normally so mild-mannered too.

Maybe I really should think about schizophrenia as a diagnosis ....

noisedude said:

Well as we well know there is a lot of that(schizoid-itus)on this forum.. ;)
But thank you too Noise.....

corban said:
I get a kick out of the guys posting to ask whether that post is worth reading. Hell, if you're so lazy you can't read it to find out yourself, give up right now, you'll never record anything worth hearing.

look, not everything posted on the bbs is worth reading, i don't know who the f he is and i figure someone already read it soooo........

when they said yes i printed it out.

p.s. blow it out your a**
who mady you so f'n special that you get to pass judgement on everyone?

noisedude said:

I used to be a schizo... but I went to a doctor... he sent me two bills... but I'm cured...

You are not!

I am too!

Hey, shut up! Both you guys!

;)

giraffe said:
look, not everything posted on the bbs is worth reading, i don't know who the f he is and i figure someone already read it soooo........

point taken

giraffe said:
when they said yes i printed it out.

that's good

giraffe said:
p.s. blow it out your a**
who mady you so f'n special that you get to pass judgement on everyone?

just saying, is all. I'm definitely not special, and you probably have more recording experience then me. Your actions make perfect sense, I didn't pass judgement. Just saying it's kinda lazy to get somebody else to tell you whether something is worth reading. I read that whole thing cause it seemed good from the start. No ill meant towards you.

That was a great post. Most of it was stuff I knew about already but it always bears repeating. I like what he said about mute automation and eq'ing which I had heard before. But I really liked hearing about all of the Pre/Post aux send stuff for reverb. Simple shit like that can really add to a mix.

Also, I liked how he doesn't use a new reverb setting for every song. Really intelligent move to just find a few and use them as tools that sit in a mix rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

I don't do tons of recording of the types of music he was going after, but, I do feel like that is some sage advice.

Nothing like free advice to get people bitching. Especially when there are tons of folks who might not know and want to know. This is HOMErecording.com and there's certainly a lot of stuff you don't just randomly stumble across on your own.

Thanks again, Ed. I read that when it rolled around the first time. Good stuff, even if there is a lot of heat along with the light- which, as I recall, served its purpose quite well the first time.

Take care,
Chris

giraffe said:
you'd try the food next to a dead man, wouldn't you.

(but he said it tasted so good)

:) I'm not sure that makes sense to this situation. You were relying on the approval of other people to check something out. I was figuring out for myself whether I should. It's easy to figure out for yourself whether to eat food next to a dead man, unless you're relying on his advice.

Last edited:
corban said:
:) I'm not sure that makes sense to this situation. You were relying on the approval of other people to check something out. I was figuring out for myself whether I should. It's easy to figure out for yourself whether to eat food next to a dead man, unless you're relying on his advice.

one of the advantages of being human is the ability to learn from other peoples mistakes.

so uhh... back to the mixing secrets, then? :D

I did a search for duckmans mixing secrets or whatev, but I couldn't find it anywhere/way that i looked. anyhoo, give us more!

duckFACE was the one with the mixing secrets. But it's the same secrets as the ones on this thread, so it really doesn't matter. I just like saying duckface.

Back