Mixing "phones"

lilman42459

What kind of headphones should I get in the $100 range that would be good for mixing. This is a christmas present. Thanks in advane.

Ok...First. These aren't going to be used for the mix straight through. Just a monitoring pair to work with the monitors.

Sennheiser and AKG seem to be prefered. Any suggestions on whick ones in the $100 range?

I use the $20 Sonys from Wal-Mart that say "Studio" on them. If you did the search, you probably found where I posted the model number.

Cloneboy Studio said:
Mixing with headphones is like plugging your guitar into a boombox. Neither works well.

Again...I said this in a few post back. They will be used for referencing. The won't be used for complete mixes from start to finish.

AKG 240DFs The DF stands for difuse field. No mixing in the cans is a good rule, but if you have to now and then, these are the phones to do it with, IMHO.

-RD

I find the ATH-M40fs to be very detailed, you can't mix in them (you can't mix in any cans) but for stereo refference, listening to reverb trails, etc...for the price, I like them. They don't fatigue your ears and they are quite light and very comfortable to wear.

Can you try before you buy somewhere? If so you should

I have 2 sets of the cheep sonys ($20) like apl.
They are good for tracking.
No headphones are good for mixing!

LemonTree said:
I find the ATH-M40fs to be very detailed, you can't mix in them (you can't mix in any cans) but for stereo refference, listening to reverb trails, etc...for the price, I like them. They don't fatigue your ears and they are quite light and very comfortable to wear.

Can you try before you buy somewhere? If so you should

I live in Hickville, KY so I don't have any place to try before I buy. You told me what I needed to know (thanks!) . A decent pair of tracking Headphones is what I am looking for and these sound like a good pair for me.

timboZ:

I have 3 sets of the Sony headphones you are talking about. They are good for my people to record with. That's all I use them for. I don't track the mixes with them.

Back