Mixing phantom with non-phantom mics

Adrian W.

This is a specific question to running mics into a Behringer 802 and out to a recorder: Is it possible on the 802 to use a phantom powered mic (603) and a non-powered mic (SM-57) into the mixer at the same time? There are no individual on/off switches for power on the mic channels (1-4). Channels 5/6 and 7/8 are fixed at line level. I know I can use a second mixer to boost the 57 to line level and then go to the line in's on the 802 but this is kind of awkward. Any other safe way to do this?

Thanks.

Mikes like the Shure SM57 don't care if phantom power is applied, they just ignore it.

Is it the case that all non phantom mics will ignore phantom power, or are there some where you need to be careful?

Ribbon mics DO NOT like phantom power. Never dump voltage into your RCA 77. But normal (that's properly wired modern dynamic mics) will ignore phantom power.

just make sure that all mics are connected, THEN turn phantom on.

when you're done..
turn phantom off, THEN unhook mics.

Track Rat said:
Ribbon mics DO NOT like phantom power. Never dump voltage into your RCA 77. But normal (that's properly wired modern dynamic mics) will ignore phantom power.

This is no true, most old consoles(API, Neve) had phantom power running on all inputs constantly, no on/off switching.

Amund

Neve said:

This is no true, most old consoles(API, Neve) had phantom power running on all inputs constantly, no on/off switching.

Amund
Oh, it's true enough. But don't take my word for it, just grab the nearest vintage ribbon mic and let Ready Kilowatt shake hands with it.

As long as the wiring in the mic and the phantom feed is correct, nothing will happen. Some old rca's had the center tap of the transformer secondary shorted to ground and that would certainly cause a problem, but all you have to do is lift that and the mic would be prefectly happy working with phantom on.

Eddie Ciletti questioned both David Royer and Wes Dooley on this subject in the August issue of Mix Magazine. Their response was exactly like ametth's.

The danger is if you accidently use a miswired cable - then it's "bye-bye" mic!

Back