mixing overdubbed vocals

LAWL_im_so_EMO

WHen i do a vocal overdub, and just a pure overdub, no harmonies or anything, how should i mix them?

And another thing, in a typical recording, how many takes are in a vocal overdub?
Not talking about harmonies, just separate takes of the same line.
thanks

WHen i do a vocal overdub, and just a pure overdub, no harmonies or anything, how should i mix them?

I think you mean double-tracking, which is recording the same voice doing the same thing a second (or third etc.) time for a thicker sound. Do whatever it takes to make it sound "right" in the mix. Lately for me that means a fair amount of compression on both (all) tracks then making the additional track(s) sit just behind the main one. What works for you could be totally different.

And another thing, in a typical recording, how many takes are in a vocal overdub?
Not talking about harmonies, just separate takes of the same line.
thanks

Try one or two.

Or you could purchase a harmonizer! Then let the fun begin.
Get real creative doing harmonies.For real and electronically, then maybe mix the two together? The skies the limit with your imagination.

:cool:

I think you mean double-tracking, which is recording the same voice doing the same thing a second (or third etc.) time for a thicker sound. Do whatever it takes to make it sound "right" in the mix. Lately for me that means a fair amount of compression on both (all) tracks then making the additional track(s) sit just behind the main one. What works for you could be totally different.

Try one or two.

+1 this

The way I'd go about it is heavy compression (they're background, so you won't hear it much if it pumps, but it keeps them sitting nice and tight as a backbone to your original vocals)

I'd try two overdubs (in addition to the original), and pan them left and right, while the lead stays center. How far L+R is up to you. Now, if you want your lead vocal to be the main focus, it's probably going to be the element with the most "presence" in their sound. So, to duck the backing vocals, I'd cut some 3-5kHz, to push them a little further back. That way, your lead vocal is "present" and up-front, and your backing vocals aren't as in-your-face. I'd also duck down the high-end - High frequencies are directional, and if you're in a large room and somebody is speaking further away, the chances are that the natural high end in their voice will get absorbed or diffused before it reaches your ears. So, apply that to your mixing.

Also, put more reverb on them. If you're using reverb on your lead vocal, put more of the same reverb on your BV's (or use a different one if you want to get creative), making them sound further away.

Try one or two.

acttually thjat is what i mean.
THen hwat does overdubbing actually mean?

acttually thjat is what i mean.
THen hwat does overdubbing actually mean?

Overdubbing means adding anything to what is already recorded, including different instruments, vocals doing other parts like harmonies, or doubling. Double-tracking is recording a voice or instrument doing the same thing at least twice: same notes, same timing etc. It's a more specific type of overdubbing technique.

In hip-hop I've heard terms like "double" (or "dub"), "hype", "ghost" etc. for vocal parts. Ghosting is recording a double track except with a more subdued voice. Hyping is accentuating just certain words or syllables, often on the 3rd or 4th beat of a measure. Different words are probably used by different artists for these techniques, but those are what I've heard used.

Back