mixing out cowbell?

cboggs

Hi Gang,

I have some music minus drum tracks that I've been messing around with, .
but they have a loud cowbell as the "click track".
I make my own separate click tracks, ..

is there any way to remove the cowbell that's embedded in this music without
killing the rest of the mix???

thank you,

Curtis

Hey Woodbridge... used to live very close to there. :)

Are you talking about a 2 track or stereo mix?? Like from an mp3 or wav file? Is the cowbell part of the audio? Or is this midi that you're talking about? If it's in the audio, then no, you won't be able to pull it out completely without destroying the rest of the instrumental.

[Edit] So i just now saw your YYZ cover thread and it made me curious why you want to pull the cowbell out of a drumless mix. Are you supplying drum parts in a collaboration? Maybe a little more detail on what you're trying to do.

Cool.

Hi Chili,

These are MP3 tracks from a few drum lesson book/cd combo's I have.
The one I'm working on has a drumless track from a Simon Phillips cd, .. but loud cowbell as part
of the mix. So I guess I'm stuck with it, .. but can I at least drop it back some??

This is really just for me, .. .. I've been trying to find every drumless track I can, ..
and record my own drum parts. Helps my playing, helps me be a better studio player, .. and I'm
learning the recording side so I can collaborate over the web.
Only thing I'll do with the tracks is upload to youtube like the YYZ video.

If I have tracks with no click embedded in them then I just make my own click on a separate track,

thanks,

Curtis

Yeah, I think you're stuck with it. The best you can do is notch out the center freq of the cowbell with an eq. depends on what you're using for tweaking, etc. But taking out the main freqs of the cowbell is going to take out whatever else there is in its sprectrum. I'm willing to bet a cowbell has a broad band of freqs, so there won't be just one freq you can cut.

But there are plenty of people who wold enjoy real drums on their tracks. I'm sure with a little searching you can find people who will let you drum to the songs and collab.

have fun,

more cowbell, .. all I every hear, .. .. more cowbell, .. .. sheesh, .. ;-)

funny, .. but thanks for the help guys, ..

It's a formula that all of us super good engineer types go by. Pay attention because you have to pay extra for this lesson at Full Sail.....

x = dt < dt+cb

Which means that if X is the amount of rocking that you want to have in your mix you must first realize that x is equal to the sum of the drum track (dt) and the cowbell (cb). Now being that in our formula dt is less than (<) the sum of dt+cb the logical conclusion is that you must have the cowbell in there in order to reach x. In more advance theory, the amount of cb is almost directly proportional to the amount of x. Many rockologists have different ideas and theories about the appropriate amount of cb to use to create the value of x but one thing we know for certain is that you must have cb in order to solve the equation. In other words...don't knock the cowbell!

It's a formula that all of us super good engineer types go by. Pay attention because you have to pay extra for this lesson at Full Sail.....

x = dt < dt+cb

Which means that if X is the amount of rocking that you want to have in your mix you must first realize that x is equal to the sum of the drum track (dt) and the cowbell (cb). Now being that in our formula dt is less than (<) the sum of dt+cb the logical conclusion is that you must have the cowbell in there in order to reach x. In more advance theory, the amount of cb is almost directly proportional to the amount of x. Many rockologists have different ideas and theories about the appropriate amount of cb to use to create the value of x but one thing we know for certain is that you must have cb in order to solve the equation. In other words...don't knock the cowbell!

A life lesson........PRICELESS!!! lol

If you had a clear sample of the cowbell isolated, theoretically you could take that sample, create another identical click track, sync that track with the original mix, inverse the wave form and that would isolate and remove a lot of the cowbell... the inverted sound waves would cancel each other out.

while at the same time adding MORE COWBELL!

Back