Mixing order

BLP

So we made a beat in FL STUDIO then exported to Adobe Audition 3 as a 2 track file. We then tracked out vocals in Adobe to the song and got it sounded good before any mixing. Then I went back to the FL STUDIO and tracked out the beat to bring into the adobe with the tracked out vocals.

I understand busses, sends, and all that in mixing so it's no problem having all those tracks to mix.

But is there a easy way to start out?

Like what is the order to try and go with?

Mix the beat then the vocals into that mix?

OR mix the drums, mixed the vocals to the drums, then bring in the melody parts?

i dont think there are any set rules just peoples preferred workflow

for me, all my dance tracks are kick first then bring up the bass next, then the rest of the drums followed by the synths etc

in the few vocals tracks Ive done I bring the vocals up first followed by the same as above.....works fairly well so far so thats the way Ill keep it :)

I like to start with drums and bass, the rhythmic foundation, and then bring in other elements.. vocals last.

honestly though, it does depend on the music. sometimes I just dive in with all faders up around -18dB

First step is to switch my screen viiew to faders and transport only so there are no wave forms to look at and the screen is essentially a screenshot of my control surface.
Map as many of the EQ, Compressor and reverb controls to MIDI control as possible to allow me to turn off or at least look at the monitor as little as is technically possible
Lower the lights and away we go

I do drums first because I find it easier to check for phase problems, if I have live tracks, without the rest of the instruments.
Then the bass to try and get the kick and bass working together. once I have drums and bass roughly how I want them I stick a bus comp on (If I want one on the mix) and then bring in everything else

Once I've got a static mix that I like the fun begins with fader, EQ, Sends, panning, compressor etc automation.

Print the mix to a stereo track and walk away from it for a couple of days and then listen again in a few environments to see if it holds up if not mke some notes about what is not working and tweak accordingly

As always YMMV

But is there a easy way to start out?
Like what is the order to try and go with?
For me, a mix is like a magical mystery tour ! The only easy way to start is.......to decide to do it ! The rest is in the lap of God. Well, it is for me. But I will at some point put up all the faders and listen to the jumble and out of that, some shape will eventually emerge. That takes alot of time and effort. Familiarity with said tune really makes a difference.
It gets more important to me to come back to it because what sounds good when I've finished may not the next day.

Back