mixing on pc

g on the wc

I need some advice on mixing on a pc. I am going to be mixing tracked music that was done to a hard drive(using motu). I am not a big fan of some of the plug-ins that come with the software and others I have been playing with. More importantly the reverb plugs suck!!. My question- Can I send the tracks out of the sound card(sb audigy platinum) to external rack hardware (ie reverb) to be processed and then return it to the comp, without having to get an external mixer or new sound card? If so would this be damaging the sound? I would rather mix this on my analouge gear but I can't due to location. I am using a friends gear to do them a fav. The software is cakewalk sonarxl and cubase sx that I will be using. I am not very seasoned at this comp mixing stuff and it's not a huge project. It seems no different than going external except you don't have any dials or faders- which sucks also!! But the plugs and efx don't sound as good as the hardware I am used to. Thanks-

G

The only way to use outboard gear is to send the tracks out through the soundcard into the processor then back in through the card inputs. You then record that input to a new track for your wet effects.

You are limited by the number of analog i/o jacks so with a Soundblaster you are stuck with only 2 channels in and out.

Thanks Tex-

I see you are from PHX. I used to manage a live music club called Beeloe's in Tempe- Ever heard of it? As for the mixing- Sounds like I am limited on the outboard processing. Can you suggest a decent plug-in for reverb and compr? Thanks again-

G

The waves stuff is alright for compression...although if you use Vegas I'd stick with the stock compressor. As far as reverb goes it's all pretty cruddy, the ultrafunk verb is the only one I can stand.

B-lows??? you are FIRED!!!!

I mixed Jeds a Millionaire there twice, and it was nights of excruciating feedback! The view up from hooters wasnt bad tho :)

Plug reverbs generally lick nads...what app are you using?

Try SIR Convolution reverb if you can use VST

Thanks to all-

I have got it figured out now. Hey Pipeline- the feedback at beeloes could very well have sucked. However in my defense (just for fun) I was managing it the last two of it's three years left in operation. The board we used was old and they did not have a sound tech ever (until new managment hired me and 2 other new managers) so if the feedback was happening it was the result of bad hook-up by the band or there soundtech. The monitors however did run VERY hot, so if you did not know how to really tweak that board you were getting your ears blown out. We tracked several live shows (Bit-o-Jane and Shawn J) and they came out very good. Anyways I do appreciate the info. Not sure what to think of the whole pc music thing.

Thanks again-

G

Back