Mixing Metal Guitarz, or Wide As Hell

fenix said:
anyone ever tried the audix d3? is has slightly less gain than the 57 but it does wonders with ultra distorted guitars.

Im looking for something better than 57 for guitars. Ill have to look into this d3.

Basically the way i record my over distorted guitars:
Ibanez's tuned B, mesa single rect/crate blk voodoo, marshall 4x12 w/ cel, sm57/cad m37, use any lowcut on mic and pre, make the room as dead as possible,even cut some bass on the amp, and add any low after if needed. Im thinking of trying this "amp in a tent" thing to see if it sounds any good.

Hmm, considering the mic choices and if you have good good pre's, I would do this:
1st off, it may be easier with a single 12 inch cab because of phase differences, but a 4x12 should work great just with more time consuming placement.
You are wanting to get this in one pass if I understand correctly.
Get yourself the ususal 2 beta 57's, 421's or M88's or M160's (preferably m160) on the cone in a very tasty stereo location. Next, get yourself a piece or string or tape measure, and a pair of tight fitting closed back headphones OR an assistant to move shit around while you are in the control room.
Now, you have a U87 (you bastard) a 47 (you bastard) and a C12 (you bastard)... did I mention you are a bastard? 2 ways to accomplish this, the listening with phones and/or assistant way is the best. Move your U87 back and slightly to the left of the cabinet with the headphones on and the close miced mic on... as you move the mic through different areas, you will hear the phase go in and out. Move it to a location that sounds great and is in phase. It could be a foot away, but likely a few feet or more.
Pan this one hard left. Next, do the same with the C12 (you bastard) or the fet47 and get it equidistant from the center of the cone, only moving it out to the right of the cone. THis is where the tape measure or string will come in handy. Distance is very imporptant. Mess around with getting it in phase with the close mic, then with the opposite mic, and make sure the are all in phase together. Now you will have the close mics for definition panned left and right, and the mics further out to thicken things up in a sort of natural doubling effect. Phase is of utmost importance here. Try hard to get it right. You'll hear it when it is. Then blend the close stereo mics with the far stereo mics and it should wound quite nice for a single pass guitar recording.
Good luck, tell me if you try it and how you like it.
Another thing, roll off the woofiness, and dont let them totally suck all of the mids out or the guitar will disapear. The sound that is a great metal sound playing alone is not the sound that will be good in a mix (ususally). It will just disapear. Get some mids back in it, and a little less gain than you would expect to use, and it will still sound super heavy and way better.
Peace.

I sometimes do a low pass at around 5khz..... the super hi-end seems to be the culprit for the "grit". I also had success do a little tiny scoop at 2-2.5 khz..... that area can really wear away your ears, and covers up vocals, the kick's "click", and the attack of the bass guitar.

Thanx, guys !!!

Hey Tube, i actually have 4 Neumanns, 1 x C12, 4 x C12A, 4 x CK1 capsule, 6 models of Sennheiser and pile of Shures :D

Detuned, thanx for input :)

Guhlenn, do you recognize those fine young people ? :D

Attachments

• napalm1.jpg
    napalm1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 69
...aaaaaaand this...

..and around 500 pics like those.

You can live at end of the world and still meet intresting people

:D

Attachments

• corpse1.jpg
    corpse1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 61
Can you get mics super cheap there or something? Maybe you can help me out with my purchases? :)
Sell me a u87 for $500 and I'll be most grateful. Everyone else, mind your own business...

Igormeister said:
Well, i am pretty young pro.
Metallica was sacred thing to me until Black Album :mad: , then i cleared my CD shelves to make room for SLAYER.

interesting you mention this now. im looking for a drummer for my music and got the following email just 10 minutes ago.

--------------------------

Brooke H****s <***eiges@hotmail.com>
Thursday, April 11, 2002 11:57 PM

i have a friend that is an extraordinary drummer... i just wanted some information to give to him about you guys so he could check it out. he's heard your music and is very very interested. he's very into music of all kinds and was recently asked to audition to drum for Slayer personally by the band after they heard his drum demo tape. if you could email me back some info or send it to my PO Box... it's *****, my email address is ***eiges@hotmail.com Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos

lol... i tried to cover her name but anyone smart enough can figure it out.

Brooke H****s

**eiges @hotmail.com

first of all; who's that ugly guy next to all those metaldudes? ;):D

kerry king is tha master!! i wanna look like that when i grow up (as if i ever will :rolleyes: )

Guhlenn

Thats me 4 years ago, now i have hair till my knees :D
I meet Slayer '93 and since then i was gues on almost all european concerts. Kerry King gave me guitar lesson, i played his ESP, B.C Rich, Jeffs Jackson, i even miked Bostaphs drums once ( that silver Tama ). I have all signature guitar picks, used strings ( holy thing ), drumsticks and sweaty shirts ( genuine smell of Tom Araya ;) )

Am i lucky bastard ? :D

My Killer crunch guitar sound:
1)Buy a pod pro
2)Smile
3)Sit back in the chair in front of my DAW
4)Record a stereo track with 1st (bridge) position on Strat (Bright)
5)Record 2nd stereo track in 2nd position(Warmer)
6)Pan like: [ W1 W2 center B2 B1 ]
7)Crank and enjoy
8)Smile

My 2 cents if it helps.;)

RSMITH123 said:
My Killer crunch guitar sound:
1)Buy a pod pro
2)Smile
3)Sit back in the chair in front of my DAW
4)Record a stereo track with 1st (bridge) position on Strat (Bright)
5)Record 2nd stereo track in 2nd position(Warmer)
6)Pan like: [ W1 W2 center B2 B1 ]
7)Crank and enjoy
8)Smile

My 2 cents if it helps.;)

Yep, and there's always that. Ahhhhh..... Line 6 Insane.....

Well, i can say that i tryed all of digital guitar effects; Digitech RP series, all Rolands including VG8 and GP100, Johnson millenia and J-station, all digital Boss units ( i have GX-700 ), and POD.
Now i am big fan of all analog guitar sound.

Why ?
Generally, it is still okay to run digital multi-effect with distortion thru miked fat amp but...
Digital effects reduce dinamics in a unnatural way.
Increase input knob until CLIP light flashes - this is maximum output from this box.
Because of impedance of pick-ups and amps input, guitar and amp interacts in a different way then when connected thru digital box. It changes resonant freq of pick-ups.

I am into amps now.

;)

nah... I don't look scary enough... we hired actors... :D:D:D

But uhmn, you can make fun of it but it sure as hell scared my mom!

OKOK yes that's make up... am i not cool (anymore...) ?

Guhlenn:cool:

and no, there is no such thing as a pod being the same as an amp... it feels different when you play, thus it sounds different... but it might be your baby... hell i don't care ;)

Back