mixing metal. feed back appreciated. (mp3)

Hi!

My impressions - the cymbals in the intro are way too forward in the mix and are missing high end sizzle through the song.

Kick needs to get some serious low end, I'd say maybe 60hz, then add in some 6k to pull out the click so it cuts through. You may want to hit it hard with a compressor too so it pops during the double kick parts.

Snare is non-existent in sections of the song, definitely compress that sucker with a fast attack, play with the settings to bring out the snare's pop to help it cut through.

Guitars sound a bit thin, how do you have them currently EQ'd? The bass tone really isn't that bad at all, I think if you add just a bit of distortion to it, just a tiny tiny bit, it'll help out with the overall guitar sound as well.

I know that probably reads as a bit harsh, but you've definitely got the beginnings of a good mix :D I think with some tweaking it'll be really good. If you're going for a late 80's prog metal sound, then you're definitely on the way!

Hope this helps!

thanks russtopher very helpful. also rami what forum should this be in. the forum says mixing and mastering. also, i know you dont mix with headphones, like i said this is just a rough cut. any other feedback appreciated. thanks.

i recorded the drums using only two mics. a kick mic, and 1 small diaphram condensor. we took off the front head of the bass drum and stuck the mic in about 2 inches. and the condensor mic was about head level to the drummer, centered above the kick. you guys have any tips for me?

definitely compress that sucker with a fast attack

no way!

i don't ever set the attack on drums to more than about 25ms...you get it faster than that and you're smashing the transients down, which just takes all the punch and life out of the drums!

song is good but the mix is very shallow and lacking any luster. Try mixing with monitors or a different pair of phones.

no way!

i don't ever set the attack on drums to more than about 25ms...you get it faster than that and you're smashing the transients down, which just takes all the punch and life out of the drums!

Hence my followup advice to play with the settings to make sure the transient POP comes through :D

Any advice given is going to differ based on the source, of course. Hopefully the OP tries multiple settings. However based on his followup that he only used a kick mic and 1 overhead, getting the drums to sit well in a metal mix might be a bit tougher than originally thought....

Back