Mixing/Mastering with Waves Plugins?

AumStudioBrian

I recently bought a Diamond Bundle of Waves Plugins and I'm wondering if anyone here would like to share ideas, tricks, suggestions for getting a great final mixes. So far, I'm using a Linear Multiband EQ followed by a L2 Maximizer for my final mixes. It seems to work niclely, but something still missing. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks--

I dont have the Diamond version, but try playing with the Ren Comp a little. Then play with the C4 if it's comes with that bundle. Stay light on the L2.

Waayy too many variables with this though. Maybe if you post something.

Malcolm

Great final mixes start with great musicians with great sounds. That's the bottom line. I know that sounds weird and cryptic, but it's the honest truth. There is no substitute for musicians with their $h|t together. You can throw a bunch of dirty SM-58's in front of them through a Behringer console and you're going to get a great recording.

A little bit of Maxxbass can go a long way to filling out the sound... not sure if that is in the bundle--I believe it is though.

Personally the Universal Audio or TC Electronic EQ's are a bit nicer IMHO than the Waves stuff. Maybe it's because they have a tad more character or mojo to them.

For mastering, when I was on a MOTU/Mac/Waves setup I would go:

Audio > L2 Limiter (set at 0.01 to avoid accidental clips) > C3 Compressor > Maxxbass > TC EQ > L2 Limiter (to raise overall levels and avoid clips)

My theory was avoid source clips (sometimes happens off other people's mixes), compress it a bit to mesh things, Maxxbass it to get that "oh-so wanted" low end thump people demand, EQ a few problems away, and then use the L2 to find a good compromise between level and loss of dynamics

It seems like a long chain but the trick is to use everything subtly.

Note that I am NOT a mixing engineer and only take stuff that falls into my lap. I prefer tracking and mixing the most. By far I'm a better mixer than anything else, but my tracking is getting pretty pro too.

Massive Master said:
Great final mixes start with great musicians with great sounds. That's the bottom line. I know that sounds weird and cryptic, but it's the honest truth. There is no substitute for musicians with their $h|t together. You can throw a bunch of dirty SM-58's in front of them through a Behringer console and you're going to get a great recording.

amen to that

and also remember that no artist is ever truly satisfied with their work, because they know they can do better...perfection is unattainable...but gaddamnit do we ever like to try...

Back