Mixing/Mastering books

oceanflame

Hi there! I'm new to this website, and I just don't know where to start! I record some stuff, but when it comes to mixing and mastering, I'm a perfectionist. But I'm more a musician than a technician. The thing is, I don't know where to start in mixing. Since I usually do all the instruments, I want to hear them all. I just fool around with my tracks and finally (after a couple of hours) get something that "sounds good".

Can anybody suggest me a book that can help me on "mixing" in general?:confused: Maybe for "mastering" when I'll hit that stage.

Thanks!!:)

Ditto on the Mixing Audio by the Japanese Guy... Great read. I also use the Mixing Engineer's Handbook as a quick reference guide. Awesome stuff!

Check these out for starters:

Mixing Engineer's Handbook

G.
Just finished this one {by a guy called Bobby Owsinski} and it's a really good read, informative. For sheer enjoyment and the realization that there are almost too many ways to skin a cat, try "Behind the glass" by Howard Massey.
But if you can say that you fool about with your tracks until the song sounds good, then to be honest, take what you read with a pinch of salt ! See, these books are brilliant on one level but no two people do their stuff alike in every way so they can have a frustrating element too. If your mix sounds good to you, it probably is....

Hi guys,

I'm Bobby Owsinski, author of The Mixing Engineer's Handbook and The Audio Mastering Handbook (among a few others). Thanks a lot for the kind words.

It always makes me happy when I read that someone's getting some value from my books. If anyone has any questions, I'm always available.

Hi guys,

I'm Bobby Owsinski, author of The Mixing Engineer's Handbook and The Audio Mastering Handbook (among a few others). Thanks a lot for the kind words.

It always makes me happy when I read that someone's getting some value from my books. If anyone has any questions, I'm always available.

Hey Bobby!

There are some great interviews in the Mastering Handbook along with a very good chapter on vinyl mastering.

Hi guys,

Somebody's been Googling themselves, haven't they? ;) :D

Welcome to our little corner of the InterThing, Mr. O. ! Very nice of you to drop in and reach out to us! :)

G.

Back