mixing drums in the soundstage

stratmaster713

mixing drums in the soundstage...

Why is it that some albums have hi hats obviously panned on the left and the ride on the right (almost like mixed backwards...?)

and then some albums have the drums all the way panned right like on Disraeli Gears comes to mind...

do you typically mix the drums "normal" like centered kick, hat panned slightly right, ride panned slightly left, toms as they appear.. etc..

I just find this interesting and was wondering everyones take on this

ALSO, how many of you use sampled drums rather than miking up a full kit and a real drummer?

Last edited:
...Why is it that some albums have hi hats obviously panned on the left and the ride on the right (almost like mixed backwards...?)
Drummer's perspective. Besides, who else ever hears drums 'wide.

and then some albums have the drums all the way panned right like on Disraeli Gears comes to mind...
That's a bit of a specialty way to go, and kick and snare haven't always been the lead instruments.

do you typically mix the drums "normal" like centered kick, hat panned slightly right, ride panned slightly left, toms as they appear.. etc..
I go from the drummers' POV, but again 'as they appear'? What does that mean? From five feet out how wide is that kit anyway? Not :D

Let's make an illusion. :)

ALSO, how many of you use sampled drums rather than miking up a full kit and a real drummer?
Real drums, DrumaDog supplements sometimes.

Last edited:
Firstly, a disclaimer. This question and the debate it gives rise to has come up quite a few times and the resultant furore has already happened so you may not get a long thread with lots of varying opinions. There again, onye ma echi ?*
Why is it that some albums have hi hats obviously panned on the left and the ride on the right (almost like mixed backwards...?)
Well, a couple of reasons. Some drummers are right handed, some are left handed. So some have the hats and rides on different sides. Also, engineers have preferences as to how to mix drums within the soundstage, as do band members and producers. Notwithstanding a sometime urge to experiment.

Have you also noticed that this has been relatively rare for three decades now ? It happens, yes, but it's particularly noticeable when it does because it's so unusual. "Disraeli gears" was recorded and came out in 1967. Jimmy, Greg, Steenamaroo and a host of current and past players on this site weren't even alive ! Recording technology was only just beginning to emerge from it's infancy and though eight track recorders were around, the norm was still 4 track. Things like layering were only just making the transition from thought to expression and actually putting three or four mics on a drumkit was then considered a luxury. It's interesting you mention Disraeli gears because it reminds me of an interview I read 22 years back in which Jack Bruce, Cream's bassist/vocalist laughs at the fact that at a gig somewhere, they had one mike on Ginger Baker's drums. He had two bass drums, loads of toms, percussion and a host of cymbals.
The main reason the drums in those days were panned all the way to one side was for maximum separation, so you could hear the drums better, apparently. Then of course, you had some where the bass drum is hard left with the snare hard right. Some of them sound pretty good.

Central~ish. If you were looking head on at the kit, I put the snare ever so slightly to the right, the hi hat {if I've specifically recorded it} a little more right of that, the bass drum ever so slightly left. I also close mike the toms because I'm kind of lousy at getting a full tom sound that I like just with the overheads.The overheads pick up the kit as a whole depending on how I place them so the cymbals and toms are as they come. Then they get panned depending on what I think sounds good for that particular song.The reason I leave the absolute centre free of drummage is so the bass and any vocals can go there. Personally, I find little noticeable difference between centre and central~ish. But that's just me. I do drums just a little better than I free fall sky dive.

Also, how many of you use sampled drums rather than miking up a full kit and a real drummer?
I'm in the fortunate position of being friends with people that play drums that are willing to help me sometimes, so I use humans.
However, there's a caveat to that. There's been a number of times recently when I've been hot to trot and there's a song I just have to get down, but none of the guys have been about to drum. So what I've done has been to take drum performances from other already recorded songs and use them. Kind of recycling. Because I have something like 90~100 songs in various states of development, but 95% of them have drum tracks down, there exist lots of interesting variations and patterns and as I'm formulating the song in my mind, I'm going through in my head the songs recorded in the last couple of years to see if any drum patterns or feels approximate what I'm currently coming up with. I make a note of them. Then as I come to put the drum bit together, because I have two of the same recorder {a 12 track Akai}, it's easy to just transfer the tracks over and then assemble a complete performance. Where levels differ, on final assembly, I bring them up or down and also, if I want an extra beat here or there or need to disguise a join, a cymbal crash works wonders. But it has to sound natural and in context. I change things about sufficiently to bear no relation to the song the drums were copped from in the first place. And it's all real drums.

There have been two or three occasions where for some inexplicable reason, the bass drum track has dropped out {maybe the mic stopped working} and I've played the part using one of the bass drum samples from Sampletank. It has loads of kits in it and they're ok. Nothing I'd want to use. But it's less of a problem to replace the bass drum than anything else. Anything else and what I'd do would be to sample a hit or two in a particular song I've recorded and just manually, and labouriously put the hits where they should go.
For me the sampling is a last resort where something has gone wrong as opposed to my default position.

*Who knows tomorrow ?

I'm not a fan of hard panned cymbals/hats/toms/etc. They don't sound like that naturally. When I hear crashes banging off all over the place, well I don't like it. Especially china cymbals. Yuck. Anyway, only from the drummer's true perspective does a floor tom or hi-hat sound like it's coming from one side or the other. A little panning for space is cool, but I like to keep it real. For me, I listen to where the toms are in the overheads and then pan the close-mic'd toms slightly more exaggerated just for more wow factor. From the kit's perspective, the hats and ride are usually relatively far away from each other, so it's no big deal to have them a little on either side if the kick and snare is centered. Typical stereo overhead placement puts them to each side naturally. I don't mic my hats or any other cymbal. I space my overheads so the hats and ride fall on each side of center, but not all the way hard left or right. The decision to mix from the audience or drummer's perspective is purely personal choice. There is no right answer. Do it however you want. The general listening public has no idea what any of that means anyway. No one listens to a song and says "fuck this shit, the hi-hats are on the left!". For me personally, I like to mix from the drummer's perspective, because I'm the drummer, and I don't use any samples..

I do mine like this:
kick and snare - dead center
Stereo overheads - panned hard left and right
12" tom - usually about 60% left
13" tom - usually about 20% right
16" tom - usually about 60% right
18" tom - usually about 70% left or right, depending on where I set it up and how I'm gonna use it.

/useless info

In the early days of recording no one knew much about mixing in stereo and were figuring it out as they went along. Also many of the early consoles that had stereo capability didn't have pan pots but pan toggle switchs (hard left, hrad right or center).
As far as my mixing preferences in the past I panned drums from the audience perspective, no extreme panning. Almost always my overheads have been an X-Y pair. Lately I've been playing around with a wide spaced overheads but for me the verdict still isn't in on that score yet. I've also been rethinking the Audience perspective/ drummers perspective thing on what gets panned where. I was doing some reading on the subject and a comment that stuck with me is when drummers are listening to a tune and playing "air drums", they would want the panning to be what they would hear when sitting behind the kit. The normal audience wouldn't really know the difference but a drummer would. That kinda makes sense to me.
And when I track I always use real drums. I really dislike samples. It's more a matter of principle with me and not sonics.

When I mix drums I always pan the hats and ride as if I was looking at the drums from the front. The reason is that if the band makes a video clip with the drummer playing the panning matches the picture. It was funny that when I started doing it this way everyone else in town was panning the other way and used to give me a strange look (but I have always had strange looks so I was used to that :rolleyes:). I would always think that panning should be to the audience perspective. However as has been said, don't go nuts with the panning the drummers arms are not 8ft long.

Of course my own band just got a new drummer that is left handed (with a left handed kit) so next album with be panned as a left handed drummer :D

Alan.

Drummer's perspective. Besides, who else ever hears drums 'wide.
Anyway, only from the drummer's true perspective does a floor tom or hi-hat sound like it's coming from one side or the other.
I go from the drummers' POV, but again 'as they appear'? What does that mean? From five feet out how wide is that kit anyway?
A little panning for space is cool
The general listening public has no idea what any of that means anyway. No one listens to a song and says "fuck this shit, the hi-hats are on the left!".
For me, these are all key points. The different rooms and concert spaces I've heard drums in have all been totally different from one another and I've never been able to diffrentiate where the particular sounds are emanating from. With the continuous swirl of music from a variety of instruments and voices and even during the dreaded drum solo, the way the entirety of sound is bouncing about cancels out any hope of pinpointing whether the "ride and hi hats are on opposite sides" ! Even listening to older records from the 60s and 70s where there are hard panned drums, it's only with headphones that the separation becomes obvious. T'otherwise, 'tis one continuous mass of sound.
For me, I listen to where the toms are in the overheads and then pan the close-mic'd toms slightly more exaggerated just for more wow factor.There is no right answer.
Let's make an illusion.
So in a way, mixers are creating an aural illusion, particularly with that most multi~faceted of instruments, the drums. No other instrument on earth comes close to the drumkit for sheer range and diversity of sounds, which is why it is possibly the hardest instrument to record convincingly, but also why it's a wonderful ally in creating that sonic illusion.

... No other instrument on earth comes close to the drumkit for sheer range and diversity of sounds, which is why it is possibly the hardest instrument to record convincingly, but also why it's a wonderful ally in creating that sonic illusion.
To veer way OT for a sec.. Where as the snare really sets a big part of the tone and style of the kit... What really pisses me off is when the dude (or dudette') whacks the damn thing in nine different ways.. Trying to nail down a tone or treatment.. turns into one royal PITA.

:)

interesting takes on this.. honestly i've always assumed the mix should be looking at the set (as if you were spectating the band performing), NOT from the drummer's perspective.

LOL! Every 6 months, the whole "Drummer's perspective/audience perspective" issue comes up here.

It's completely stupid. There are many left-handed drummers, myself included, which shows that it really doesn't matter what side you have the hi-hat panned. As a lefty, my "drummer's perspective" is most other people's "audience perspective". Just mix the fricking drums so that they sound good in the mix. Nobody cares or even notices which "perspective" they're being mixed from.

LOL! Every 6 months, the whole "Drummer's perspective/audience perspective" issue comes up here.

It's completely stupid. There are many left-handed drummers, myself included, which shows that it really doesn't matter what side you have the hi-hat panned. As a lefty, my "drummer's perspective" is most other people's "audience perspective". Just mix the fricking drums so that they sound good in the mix. Nobody cares or even notices which "perspective" they're being mixed from.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

To each his own, to me it is worth the little pan for each.

Not sure if anyone has really used this as a benchmark, but I really like how the drums were mixed in Joe Satriani's - Super Colossal album... Kick, snare, toms, sound great for rock, or atleast one of the better mixes of drums on a modern "rock" album, IMO

One Robots Dream - YouTube
Just Like Lightnin - YouTube

"to each his own" = everyone has their own opinion. "to me it is worth the little pan for each" = i think its worth panning the drums a little bit rather than having them all down the center

To each their own is correct. The fact that you even ask, shows you are looking for advice, or confirmation of what you like. There is no right way. Only what works for you with a particular song. Go with your gut man. None of us a**hol*s can tell you what you like.

"to each his own" = everyone has their own opinion. "to me it is worth the little pan for each" = i think its worth panning the drums a little bit rather than having them all down the center

I know what"to each his own" means.:D

As far as the other part of your statement is concerned, you mis-understood me. I never said it doesn't matter IF you pan the drums. Of course you don't want them all down the middle most of the time. I was talking about the fact that it doesn't matter which perspective you're panning them from, drummer's or listener's.

I'd provide you a definition of "perspective", but I'm sure you could Google it. :D :cool:

Last edited:
I tend to mix drummer perspective. I've been doing it for so long, I can't remember why I started.

However, depending on the production, sometimes I leave all the drums panned center and only have the overheads, hat and ride panned. For example, when the drum part has the drummer hitting one of his 5 toms every other measure, that tom will get centered so that the whole thing doesn't seem lob-sided.

I also center pan the last floor tom (assuming it is tuned really low) because I hate having that much low end panned too far out of center.

I always try to make the real drums work, but I will supplement or replace drums with samples if that's what I have to do to achieve what I'm attempting to do.

I like pie. :)
Err.. I assign my stereo pair pans to grouped reverse for single slider width controll. Somewhere down in the 0 -30% range a nice thick kit option thing happens.

Back