mixing desk orientation in small studio space

Guelph_Guy

Hi everybody!

Anyhow I'm new on here and have been reading lots of posts but perhaps somebody can point me in the right direction (orientation).

I'm converting my home office into a small recording studio. I mainly record direct into the mixer nothing is mic'd not even the drums (E-kit).

Anyhow the room is 11' X 10' 3" with an 8 foot ceiling. On one of the 11' walls there is a 6' X 4' window centered on the wall.

Should I...

A. Center my console with the window on the 11' wall
or
B. Center my console on the 10' 3" wall?

I'm favouring the console on the 10' 3" wall right now, however it puts the window in reflection zone relative to the console and I'm not fond of blocking out the window with an absorber ( My wife would kill me!)

anyhow some thoughts would be great

thanks
RJ

I keep watching for a reply bro, my desk is in the corner but that could easily change, it even has wheels/casters, whatever. Don't want to go across the long wall cause it would sit over the register, but I could easily put it across the short wall. Course that's if it would make diff.

Anyhow the room is 11' X 10' 3" with an 8 foot ceiling. On one of the 11' walls there is a 6' X 4' window centered on the wall.

Normally, you'd put the loudspeakers in front of the shorter wall for a better bass response. But in this case the difference between width and length is very small. So I think it's better to not have the window at a reflection point.

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan,

It's been really hard to determine what direction I should take it. Anyhow, I had two "napkin designs" one for each scenario so I can move forward with the console in front of window.

cheers
RJ

I'll post up pictures when it's complete

I keep watching for a reply bro, my desk is in the corner but that could easily change, it even has wheels/casters, whatever. Don't want to go across the long wall cause it would sit over the register, but I could easily put it across the short wall. Course that's if it would make diff.

Sometimes it's just really hard to get the space to work right. I have a full Roland digital drum kit in the space as well as 2 keyboards. I just downsized my 24 X 8 console to a 16 X 4 X 2 with firewire. and my mixing desk is about 6 ft wide and 30" deep. So I'm trying to make it all fit. Anyhow, there will be a ton of absorber going into the room and a cloud over top as well. All my guitar processing is in the rack for both bass and rhythm/lead and everything goes direct to mixing console. (thats the easy part). The hard part is getting the room to co-operate sound wise!

The big console got moved to the "B" studio (short for basement)

Cheers
Glad to know I'm not the only one in this situation!

Rj

Normally, you'd put the loudspeakers in front of the shorter wall for a better bass response. But in this case the difference between width and length is very small. So I think it's better to not have the window at a reflection point.

--Ethan

Oh Ethan, you have the neatest cat!!!!
(we fancy cats here as well)

cheers
RJ

Back