Mixing Comments Please

I-AM

Hello All,

I have been apart of this site for a long time, and I have grown quite a bit by reading numerous posts on recording techniques and etc. However, when it comes down to my final mixes, I feel that they lack a certain "full" quality and are just not cutting it at all. Not to mention me trying to somewhat master or polish up a mix using waveburner is like...well let's not even go there -lol. Most of this is probably partly due to me focusing more on the musical/playing instruments side than the actual mixing/recording side of things.
I am currently using Logic Pro 7, a Tascam FW1884, intel iMac, and Reason 3. Generally speaking, I try to compose R&B/Hip Hop music and there are no vocals (another headache!) in these tunes. So, please dissect my tracks and tell me what I should keep doing mixing wise and what I should wipe my ass with. Any and all comments welcome.

My music website:
http://www.myspace.com/theanalystmusic

I've taken a listen to all your tracks, though on a laptop. I'll have to comment on the mixing when I have a better chance to interpret. Other than that, decent stuff. I think the best tracks on there are The Project (has good potential) & Down Home Folk - Like that one.

Very nice I-AM. Some good variety and most are well mixed. All you need now is a rapper or singer and you may have some hits. I will be following your progress. Thanks for sharing.

I appreciate the comments Tlennon and thanks for the add. I guess my concern is that I hear all of the great sounding music other users on here post and somehow I wonder why my tracks tend to not sound as "phat" or full (Not just loudness, but an overall meaty sound). More than likely it is a post-compression/eq issue. However, I was wondering if my process was...lacking when it came to recording and etc. Although I am making R&B/Hip Hop/Alternative stuff, I always try to do a fair amount of compression on each individual track within reason or logic (i.e. drums, bass, and other instruments) and lastly apply a gentle compression over the entire mix. Not really doing any "home" mastering right now - just normalize the file and post on the web. However maybe I should investigate some nifty tricks that I can do within waveburner that give a smidget more of a spit shine to my tracks.

Back