Mixing board questions

mndog75

I was just reading about averagejoes mixingboard dilemma, my question is this,I just bought a yamaha mg10/2 I record into a tascam 100 dollar four track(i am new to this) I understand tracks on the four track as one,two,threeand four, its full control over each track when the button is pushed,on the mixer lines after two are 3/4 5/6 7/8 9/10 and the last two sets have no gain control, I just dont understand the setup?I also have 4 mic inputs now on the first two I have a line in as well as i/o after that things get weird to me, I have no inputs just left and rights.Could someone please breakdown what all these holes are and how I can use them.question two ,Basically I lay down each individual track on the recorder(well I go through the mixer first,I need phantom power)Then back through the mixer to a cd burner. I can tell no difference with or without the mixer. I would love to be able to record my shit and mix ,but I get no different sounds after its been recorded and I run it back through the mixer??? is there a way to add effects on instruments as well as vocals after its already been recorded??

I'm looking into getting a mixer myself and have been wondering the same thing. I also want something that can have an output for each individual track.

mndog75 said:
I was just reading about averagejoes mixingboard dilemma, my question is this,I just bought a yamaha mg10/2 I record into a tascam 100 dollar four track(i am new to this) I understand tracks on the four track as one,two,threeand four, its full control over each track when the button is pushed,on the mixer lines after two are 3/4 5/6 7/8 9/10 and the last two sets have no gain control, I just dont understand the setup?I also have 4 mic inputs now on the first two I have a line in as well as i/o after that things get weird to me, I have no inputs just left and rights.Could someone please breakdown what all these holes are and how I can use them.question two ,Basically I lay down each individual track on the recorder(well I go through the mixer first,I need phantom power)Then back through the mixer to a cd burner. I can tell no difference with or without the mixer. I would love to be able to record my shit and mix ,but I get no different sounds after its been recorded and I run it back through the mixer??? is there a way to add effects on instruments as well as vocals after its already been recorded??
As you can guiss by my name i recomend an analog mixer. you can get ones that have seperate outputs for half the price of a digital and you can do more with them. I use a soundpro spirit folio fx8 it has 8 individual channels and four grouped channels. you can ge the next model up if you want more channels. I am an opera singier myself so i never had a need for any more channels but if you do rock pop hiphop etc. you might want to consider that. but this mixer can do all that you spesified and then some i have used it for 5 years and i love it. I have recorded 3 albums on it and sold thousands of copys the sound quality is realy good and it is also compalible with digital components like dat's efect dect etc.
I hope this help you:
Alan

audio engineering 101...

ok i'll try to help here
. i dont have a yamaha, bit i think i can explain the operations....

your yamaha has 2 mono inputs, and 4 stereo paired inputs.

input 1 and 2 function the same. They have an xlr connector, probably a 1/4 connector and maybe an insert point.
You would use these 2 channels to plug microphones into, and a direct guitar.

inputs 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 and 9/10 each represent a stereo pair of inputs. They receive a LINE level signal. an example would be the output of a cd player, or the STEREO return of a floor effects processor.

technically, you could hook up a micropnone into 1. a bass guitar into 2, a steroe return from your digi-tech in 3/4, a steroe return from a drum machine into 5/6, and a steroe keybord into 7/8. The mixer MIXES or puts all of the sounds at the specified level into (2) outputs. (them main left and right).

the advantage is
1 you can use the phantom power of the mixer
2 you can use the eq of the mixer
3 you can leave everything pluggeed into the mixer and not have to change cords around when you want to record a different insturment.
4 you have several "SENDS" on the mixer to get audio to different places.

now, because the mixer sums them all to the main out, which you are already using singularly, you can record any of the above insturments into which ever SINGLE track is ARMED to record on the recorder.

you may be sending audio from the mixer to a listening or monitor amp, in addition to sending it to the recorder. then you can plug the output of the recorder back into the board on 9/10, and send it to the monitor. just dont leave 9/10 turned up all the time. it will cause a loop.

just a note on inserts points....
they have a send, and a return on the same jack. it's called a trs jack, but is the same thing as a stereo heaphone jack and plug. The audio is sent out throught the tip or send, and is returned on the ring or return. The sleeve is common to both circuits.

hope this helps explain a bit.
good luck

Back