Mixing before vocal work

jfarrell

I just got a used Boss BR-864. After three days, I came up with this groove. This was all done on the Boss except the encoding from .wav to .mp3. I'm about to move forward and get the vocals, but wanted to make sure this mix sounds good. Any comments?

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3856412&q=hi

Comments from another forum has been:
Drums sound sizzly and sound like they are in a cave
Bass hiding
Thin rhythm (clean guitar) part

Sounds pretty good on my monitors.

Its a tough one to judge what is thin and what is hiding without the vox, its almost futile. It will all change when the vox comes in. At the moment the bass is a lil soft but that might be perfect for the vox, no way to predict it. Good stuff.

DavidK said:
Sounds pretty good on my monitors.

Its a tough one to judge what is thin and what is hiding without the vox, its almost futile. It will all change when the vox comes in. At the moment the bass is a lil soft but that might be perfect for the vox, no way to predict it. Good stuff.

I agree with Dave K. to early to tell. the thin sounding guitar may sound really good with a bass guitar. it will cut through and let bass be heard.

any way you can make the drums "swing" a little. they sound really mechanical just in the beat. there may be a "swing" % that you can adjust on your machine to make it a little more groovin. Maybe try putting the snare once in a while on a off beat, or at least on the "4" then immidiatley on the "&"

i think you have a good start on your mix.

Back