Mixing bass

Jack Real

Hi

I have recorded my bass through a Korg bass effect and I also have the direct signal. I noticed that when I mix the 2 signals together, I can get presence and fullness but I'm not sure if I'm not creating phase issues. Is it o.k. to use the 2 signals in a mix and is there a way to proceed to avoid phase issues ?

Thanks,

Jack Real

I can get presence and fullness but I'm not sure if I'm not creating phase issues.

Mixing 2 bass signals is pretty common. If you hear phase issues just line up the two waves so the peaks are in the same place.

Mixing 2 bass signals is pretty common. If you hear phase issues just line up the two waves so the peaks are in the same place.

Hi

I did that and it corrected the phase issue, thanks.

Now, do you know what is the use of the direct signal, is it to add presence to the bass ? Should I pan the two bass signal slightly or delay the wet signal by 5 ms ?

Thanks,

Jack Real

Don't pan them, unless you want to create an effect, and delaying the wet signal is just going to re-introduce the phase issues. The reason people record both DI and amp, or any other combination, is for choice when it comes to mixing. You can either use one, or you can blend them. EQ one and not the other, compress one of them and not the other- there's a huge number of combinations to produce the sound you want.

Don't pan them, unless you want to create an effect, and delaying the wet signal is just going to re-introduce the phase issues. The reason people record both DI and amp, or any other combination, is for choice when it comes to mixing. You can either use one, or you can blend them. EQ one and not the other, compress one of them and not the other- there's a huge number of combinations to produce the sound you want.

Hi

Thanks for the answer. I will try that and see if I can get the sound that I want.

Thanks again.

/Jack Real

This post caught my eye...I recorded some bass tracks for my band the other night, and we experimented with different mic setups, and finally ended up with just going direct. I then double the tracks, kept one clean and panned, and then panned the other in the other direct but closer to center, with some cleanup and reverb.

I like the idea of the Direct plus Mic. Have you used this successfully?

Back