Mixing bass lines

brothathatcares

How do you mix a bass line so that it has a deep bottom end but doesn't muddy up the track or take over the track?

I noticed that most commercial rap beats have a bass line that can make speakers rattle, yet when played in a standard CD player it mixes perfectly....

My problem is that a mix sounds clear and professional on my monitors, but when I play it on CD players, the bass line takes over the song.

I listen to commercial CDs through my monitors and I mix my beats to sound as close as possible, but when I burn a CD, the bass line is too prevalent...

The rest of my mix is good (especially in the intros before i bring in the bass line and parts where I mute out the bass), but when the bass line comes in, it just takes over

Anyone else have this problem?

Is there a way to give my bass a deep bottom end without sacrificing the clarity of my mix?

My problem is that a mix sounds clear and professional on my monitors, but when I play it on CD players, the bass line takes over the song.

Sounds like not enough bass in your monitors when you mix it.

Also compression and EQ go a long way on a bass line.

Other than the great advice so far listed, sounds like you need to EQ out everything that you don't need in your bass line, and also on every other track that has offending frequencies with the bass. By itself, your bass could sound great, and with minimal instruments, still sound great, but once you start adding more and more instruments that offends the bass, the more muddier it'll sound. Like a electric guitar could muddy up the bass, so usually I cut from 200hz and up or so on the bass, or cut everything under 400hz on the guitar for example. Don't use that, i'm just throwing up numbers real quick.

How do you mix a bass line so that it has a deep bottom end but doesn't muddy up the track or take over the track?

I noticed that most commercial rap beats have a bass line that can make speakers rattle, yet when played in a standard CD player it mixes perfectly....

I listen to commercial CDs through my monitors and I mix my beats to sound as close as possible, but when I burn a CD, the bass line is too prevalent...

The rest of my mix is good (especially in the intros before i bring in the bass line and parts where I mute out the bass), but when the bass line comes in, it just takes over

Anyone else have this problem?

Is there a way to give my bass a deep bottom end without sacrificing the clarity of my mix?

Back