mixing area in one room studio

drembo

I am abut to begin building my studio space. I have room for a 12'x19' space with a 9.5' ceiling. There will be a door in one of the 12' walls. I only record myself here, no full bands, or acoustic drums. Should I build one end of the room as a mixing area, with a different ceiling or something else like that at that side of the room, or should I just keep it one uniform rectangular room? I will have base traps in the corners.(vertical corners)
Should I attempt to deaden the end of the room where I will mix? I don't have space or money for two rooms. I am an amateur hobbyist. I also am an amateur collector of money(i.e., I don't seem to collect it very well) so money is somewhat of an issue.
Also, if I leave the joists exposed in the ceiling, I could have another 10" of height in the room. Any advantage to this? I don't want to go with insulation in that space covered with fabric like I have read about on this board, as that sounds like a dust trap. Perhaps I am wrong about that.
I appreciate suggestions

Suggestions about building my space?

I would just treat it as one room...your mixing/control room...and then the other useage (tracking) will take of itself in that same space.

I would just treat it as one room...your mixing/control room...and then the other useage (tracking) will take of itself in that same space.

One big room...much better to do that than create two totally unusable spaces by splitting it in half.

(My prerequisite preface: I'm not a pro, so take my ideas with a grain of salt)

You might try doing like was said above: treat it as a control/mixing space and then when it's time for tracking lay some plywood out on the floors to get a little bit of reflection and a little more livliness. Maybe this would suck, but it seem viable to me.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Yup, I agree, one room optimized for mixing. You can add room ambience later during mixdown.

I'm no pro either....

You might try doing like was said above: treat it as a control/mixing space and then when it's time for tracking lay some plywood out on the floors to get a little bit of reflection and a little more livliness. Maybe this would suck, but it seem viable to me.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

That's a great idea. People do it all the time.

Back