Mixing and Effect questions. (Hip-Hop)

Cash The King

I understand there aren't any 100% correct ways of doing things. If you can't help with every question, help with the one's you are knowledged on. Thanks!

1.EQ then compress or compress then EQ?

2.Hard Limiting - Do you recommend using this? Or should it be used only when there are extremly noticable peaks in the vocals?

3.Compression - When it comes down to selecting the ratio i'm totally confused on what's ''best'' to do. I understand what the ratio does but as far as getting what will bring out the best gets me. I have also read that on hip-hop vocals you want your attack and release settings set to the fastest available. What's your take or opinion on that?

4.''Ssssssss" are harsh! What EQ techniques would you suggest to help this. I've tried cutting a few dB on the hi's around 12-15Hz. Is it just better to try and work with a de-esser plug-in?

5.Adlibs - I listen to Dr.Dre mixes and try to A/B to get my adlibs to sit so nicely under the main vocal as his do. I've tried different EQ'ing and leveling techinques on different occasions. I still can't get a adlib that accents the main vocal well but also comes in nice and smooth. Is there a general level that the adlib should sit underneath the main vocal? Last, pan 100 L/R or not all the way.

Thanks for any advise you can provide. I'll be practicing and reading for more knowledge and experience in the mean time. - Cash

Cash The King said:
Both/neither, depending on what's necessary. In general you EQ before you compress if necessary to get rid of "problems" in the sound, then you compress. if necessary, then you EQ, if necessary, to "sweeten" the compressed result.

Cash The King said:
2.Hard Limiting - Do you recommend using this? Or should it be used only when there are extremly noticable peaks in the vocals?
This is a pretty meaningless question. As with any tool, I'd recommend using it when it's called for, not using it when it's not called for. In general. hard limiting is mostly used either when you want to give a waveform a crew-cut (shave off all the peaks at the same volume without affecting the rest of the dynamics) or when you want to boost the overall levels without worrying about transient clipping. If you need to do either of those general fuctions, then use a hard limiter.

Cash The King said:
3.Compression - When it comes down to selecting the ratio i'm totally confused on what's ''best'' to do. I understand what the ratio does but as far as getting what will bring out the best gets me. I have also read that on hip-hop vocals you want your attack and release settings set to the fastest available. What's your take or opinion on that?
Cash, you don't want to hear this, but this question is too general to give much inthe way of a meaningful answer to. The above question reads like, "I'm going to use a howitzer, but when it comes to selecting the direction to point it or angle to elevate it I'm not sure what's best." Anybody that gives you a specific answer to this question is only patronizing you.

Cash The King said:
4.''Ssssssss" are harsh! What EQ techniques would you suggest to help this. I've tried cutting a few dB on the hi's around 12-15Hz. Is it just better to try and work with a de-esser plug-in?
In general, it's almost never "better" to use an automated plugin for anything, though there are some nice de-essers out there. A common alternative method for de-essing is to use a multi-band compressor, usiing the high band to squish the sibilance a bit. It has a different sonic effect than throwing EQ cut. Try them both and see what sounds best in the context.

Cash The King said:
5.Adlibs - I listen to Dr.Dre mixes and try to A/B to get my adlibs to sit so nicely under the main vocal as his do. I've tried different EQ'ing and leveling techinques on different occasions. I still can't get a adlib that accents the main vocal well but also comes in nice and smooth. Is there a general level that the adlib should sit underneath the main vocal? Last, pan 100 L/R or not all the way.
Pass. My answer to this would fall on deaf ears.

If audio engineering were as easy as following a couple of set recipies with standard values, everybody would making platinum albums.

G.

Cash The King said:

1 - It depends........ use whichever gives you the sound you're looking for...
2 - It depends completely on track at hand and what you're trying to accomplish....
3 - This question is like asking "how long is a piece of string?" The only possible answer is (you guessed it) "It depends..."
4 - Use mic placement/selection FIRST to minimize any ess'ing - get the talent to practice good mic technique. If none of those work, THEN reach for tools....
5 - See answer 3..........

Back