Mixing advice: Full mix. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

jhadden1412

Hey All,

So I've been playing music and recording for years but its always been a group effort when recording. I am creating a full length CD with a drummer friend of mine and am doing everything on my own for the first time and would really appreciate any mixing advice you would be willing to share. I'm up to about 10 songs now but will be posting individual songs here. I would like to get the best mix I can out of the recordings I've captured. This song is still without vocals but I'd like to get feedback on the instrumental mix as it stands now. Thank you for any comments/suggestions you may have.

Here the link: soundcloud.com/sunbather-1/homerecording-test-track

Last edited:
Firstly, this is how you post a link:

Secondly, I can't really offer any mix advice because I honestly don't know what it's meant to be. Everything is so busy and indistinct (especially the bass) I can't make head nor tail of it. When everything is doing something lightning fast and intricate, the result is a bit of a mess.

I think it's pretty much virtual everything. But that's ok, and that's not for us to judge. For what this is, which reminds me a bit of Gentle Giant or some progressive stuff from the 70's, I think the mix is good. I can't really give you a specific "It would be better if you did this....". I think the sound and mix is decent.

The bass is kind of weird. It sounds like its made of plastic on the main riff.

But the rest of the mix is really good, loved the guitars!

Really appreciate all the feedback. Just wanted to say that the bass synth and bass guitar are essentially playing the same riff and that might be causing some of the confusion. I want them to both be distinguishable but don't know how to eq them so that they can both stand alone/be heard. The bass guitar has mid lows boosted and the low lows are dropped and the bass synth has the mid highs boosted and mid lows dropped. The midi track is the only virtual thing, everything else is mic'd and analog.

I think you have the right idea with the eq adjustments you made. Trim one to make room for another. And it does sound very 70's prog.Cool

Back