Mixing a song down in AA3

kind of depends on what you mean

if you are talking about maintaining integrity of the data, that is not a issue with the CEP/AA legacy. Even in mid 90's, when it was not true of every digital audio app CEP got the 'maths' right

if you're asking about how to avoid letting editing and mixing functions screw up the audio that is an entirely different can of worms and not something that can be answered universally or even generally

'it depends!'

So just mixing it down to the highest quality mp3 is fine?

I hear mixing it down to wave then converting it.

Also does AA3 still only take Direct X or does it now take VSTs?

Last edited:
AA 3 can use VSTs

mixing down is different then converting from one audio format to another

MP3 will always discard significant audio data . . . it is inevitable and unavoidable. As to which settings and which conversion program produces the best results . . . that is a subjective crap shoot

LAME variable bit . . . targeting 320 kb/s (though with variable it won't be exact) gets you in neighborhood of indistinguishable from audio CD for most listeners

but variable bit rate conversion is not supported universally by consumer playback devices

As to how good AAs MP3 conversion is compared to other options I don't really have an opinion. I will use it for ease of use for material going into mobile listening (car, jogging, etc.) If a client wants me to do MP3s for some reason I still tend to use the Lame encoder . . . variable bit rate if their playback supports it, 320 kbps static conversion if not, and almost never anything lower then 160 kbps

but audio is always archived in a lossless (i.e. wav) format

Back