Mixing 101 (almost dumb questions)

NobleSavage

I've read a bazillion articles everywhere going through the arcane aspects of mixing and I realize that there are tons of things that I am missing, that I should already know. So, I figure this would be a nice way to answer what must be really basic questions. I'll start with a few, hopefully will get a few responses and we can go from there.

1) When adjusting frequencies - do you do the entire song at once, or do you go back to the individual track that you think is causing the problem and then do another mixdown?

2) Do you have any particular program you prefer to do you mixing in?

3) What is a good basic reverb setting to liven up a recording?

I do not EQ an entire mix. If I have a problem, I try to identify the offending instrument/voice and go back in after it.
I mix for the most part through an analog mixer but sometimes use the computer. When I do, I use either Cakewalk9 or Vegas.

Yeah.. Same thing here...

I always try and get the Eq right in the mix... yet sometimes There is a bit of eq treatment in the mastering process..

Thanks another story..

Reverb.. Use your ears.. there is no normal setting..

Yeah EQ'ing the whole song is generally done when mastering song, along with adding compression to the whole song.

Record each track the best you can, work through each track individually to find any discrepenices but mix with all tracks in mind. What I mean here is that you may for example make the guitar track sound worse played solo (by say cutting some low end) but what when played with the bass track the overall sound/mix will sit better.

So, work each track by itself for any problems (maybe make notes) but add effects and EQ with the other tracks in mind which often means making the individual tracks played solo sound worse.

It's all subjective I know, you gotta use your ears, you'll get better with experience.

Another thing I would recommend is spending a lot of time listening to other CD's as a reference through your monitors so you can try and grasp what effects are used, how the instruments sit in the mix etc.

1) I usually EQ whole song at once ( but i am experienced ;) ), listen to it, solo and EQ problematic track, and quick back in the mix. I set compression in next pass.

2) I mix in anything that supports Wawes Plug-ins ( ProTools, Nuendo, Cubase )

3) Bassic settings for inspiration: Plate reverb 2-2.6 sec, max. diffusion setting, roll off highs from 2 kHz or lower - use on snare, brass and strings, try on lead vocal
Hall reverb; all same, but roll off highs from 1 kHz - use on piano, guitars, toms, vocal.

Back