Mixers

ThePhoenix

Hi everyone. My drummer bought a EURORACK MXB1002 and two floor monitor before we paired up. We can't seem to get sound to come out of the monitors without it being really quiet and distorted. Is this not a powered mixer? would that be why it's not making much sound? also, i was wondering, maybe if i ran the mixer through my DMP3 Preamp, maybe it would boost the sound up! is that a bad idea?

This is not a powered mixer so to speak. You need an amplifier for the monitors if they are passive monitors.

The preamp might work - but they're usually used before going into the mixer to boost the mic's signal. If the original signal is weak, the sound output will be weak (but the mixer should have built in preamps). I don't know if you could use the preamp for powering the monitors (does the preamp only have 1 line out?) - You may have to look into buying an amplifier, but try it and see if it works.

You need a power amplifier. A mixer puts out an extremely weak signal, measured in milliwatts. You need thousands of times the power for your floor monitors. The monitors should have a wattage rating on them. That's what you can use to determine how big of an amplifier wou will need. There is no way around using a power amplifier.

H2H

i second that with 2 thumbs up
the dmp3 is a mic preamp not a high wattage amplifier so it wont boost much at all

Back