Mixers, recommendations, whatnot

rivercity

Hey all,

I was looking at Behringer mixers until I saw a massive amount of complaints about Behringer products (well, just the mixers). Now I'm completely new to recording, but the people with the entry-level mixers seem to have problems recording more than one track at a time.

I need to record up to 4 tracks at the same time, and I'm guessing I would just run from the mixer outs to something like a Hoontech C-port. If that's not how you do it, can anyone tell me how I would go about doing it? And does anyone have any mixer recommendations, at least 8 channels, preferrably under or around $700 ?

One other thing, I know this isn't a live sound forum, but my new band is gonna be needing a PA, and I was wondering if, instead of buying a separate powered mixer, I could just go from a power amp to the mixer I use to record, and from there to the speakers?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

rivercity,
Mackie makes good medium priced mixers,a lot of people around here have them and swear by them,including me.
Pete

My band has a Mackie 16 channel that we use for gigs and for recording. Instead of a powered board or a power amp, we use powered mains (also Mackie's). It was a bit more expensive doing it that way, but well worth it. The live sound is great.

Don't buy the Behringer mixer (at least the MX802a). That's what I own. I don't have much confidence in the construction... It feels like I paid TOO much for it and I believe it was under $150.

Vice

1) Soundcraft Spirit F1 - $400
2) Soundcraft Spirit F8 - $500
3) Soundcraft Spirit M8 - $600
4) Souncraft Rac Pac - $400 (Used - was discointinued)
5) Allen & Heath GL2 - $600 (Used - was discontinued).

All of the above have a much nicer EQs and Pre-Amps then Mackie or Behringer mixers.

I don't like the spirit mixers at all. They have a really cheep feel to the faders and such. I haven't used any of the higher end soundcraft stuff yet.

The allen and heath GL2 is great. I use one at work all the time running montiors for live sound. Its warmer sounding than the mackie or behringer boards. And it has a great feel. The eqs are way better. I've also used a GL3 (24 channel)and GL3000(32 channel)

The behringers are ok as long as you don't use the busses. I have a eurorack MX2004a for my home use and the busses have really bad crosstalk problems.

Mackies have a very clean steril sound.

Soundcraft Spirit F1:

good sound
good eq
good mic pres

knobs and faders feel very cheap

maybe the money went on getting good sound

Back