mixer w MR-8 (or other such standalone recorder)

tomleblanc

To anyone using a standalone type of recorder, like the MR-8, VF-80, etc. etc., are you using a mixer? If so, what are you using it for mostly? Is it because you need lots of channels to mix a bunch of drum mics down into two channels to record? Or are you using it to create a final mix of stuff you've already recorded, by manipulating EQ, levels, etc.?

My issue is that the MR-8 doesn't have an EQ. I know that theoretically I could get a mixer and hook it up to my MR-8's outputs and then pipe it back to the inputs, so that I could mix all my tracks together, adjust levels/EQ/etc., and record it as two stereo tracks. But is this reasonable to do?

One problem I forsee is that the MR-8's "headphone amps" are kinda noisy, and thus using the outputs might introduce a significant degree of noise into the recording. I know I could use the digital output, but I don't know that any mixer within my price range would even have a digital in! (I was thinking Mackie DFX-6)

So I guess one of the main questions I have here then is whether there are any significant reasons to prefer analog mixing to doing it on a computer (on something like n-Track or CEP), especially when I have just a standard crappy sound blaster card.

Thanks for reading :)

I'm not using mine with a mixer yet, but I'm gonna get one very soon. The main reason I'm gonna get a mixer is for mic preamps and phantom power(the MR-8 does not have phantom power and the pre-amps are not that great). Also I will be able to use the eqs on the channels. Other folks are probably using mixers for other reasons also.

tomleblanc said:

My issue is that the MR-8 doesn't have an EQ. I know that theoretically I could get a mixer and hook it up to my MR-8's outputs and then pipe it back to the inputs, so that I could mix all my tracks together, adjust levels/EQ/etc., and record it as two stereo tracks. But is this reasonable to do?

One problem I forsee is that the MR-8's "headphone amps" are kinda noisy, and thus using the outputs might introduce a significant degree of noise into the recording. I know I could use the digital output, but I don't know that any mixer within my price range would even have a digital in! (I was thinking Mackie DFX-6)

Thanks for reading :)

A couple more things.

The signal chain is not going to be as you described. Your mic or instrument will be plugged into the mixer,then you will come out of your mixer into the MR-8 mic or instument inputs.
This way you could adjust levels and eq before recording. After recording, mix down to a stereo wav on the MR-8 and transfer via USB to pc or just transfer each track separately to the pc for mixdown to stereo.

A couple other things too. The output of the MR8 is a separate circuit from the headphones (different amp anyway). Mixing on the computer the way we all do does not involve the soundcard. The signal stays in the digital domain. When you listen to it through the speakers, the signal is not effected.

bd

Pale Thomas

We use a mixer, just as Gospel said, with a VF80. We can all play together and whilst doing so record two selected tracks at a time (except vocals or mic'd guitar amp of course, when it's headphone time).

We don't use the mixer to add effects, EQ etc. though; it's just a device for adjusting monitoring levels and for routing two tracks at a time to the recorder. For any track being recorded, mixer faders are set at 0dB and no EQ.

Sorry, I didn't answer your question. I use a Behringer UB1002 that just stays hooked up all the time with a condenser mic, V-Amp (L&R in seperate channels) and Boss DR5, which I use as a drum machine and sound generator for my midi keyboard. The EQ is only on the first 2 channels, so they get used more than any other channels, but lately I have been just recording flat and using the EQ in n-Track because I get a better reference with the monitors. The main reason for the mixer is the preamps.

bd

Cool, so basically most of you have mixers for the pre's, and to EQ, monitor, etc. while tracking. Since I have a DMP3 I don't need the pre's, and I won't be recording using any more than two mics at a time anyway, so I can just use the pre and go right into my MR-8 and record both tracks at once.

I just looked at my recorder and realized I'm really dumb and saw what someone was saying about the separate stereo outputs vs. the headphone ones. For some reason I totally forgot about those! Brain fart! haha :)

So for those of you using n-track, etc., do you find that you don't even need to EQ during recording?

I don't monitor with the mixer because the monitors and mixer are in different rooms. I record with headphones connected to the MR8 because that's the final destination of the signal, plus I can hear the reverb if I choose to add a little while recording. Mind you I normally don't mix the reverb into the track because in order to do that you have to bounce...I just add it for reference while I am recording. If I want reverb, I add it into the mix with n-Track.
Lately I have found that recording flat and EQ'ing with n-Track gives me a lot more control simply because my monitors are hooked up to my computer. If I had the monitors in the studio, I would probably do it differently.

bd

Tom, there's no need for anything to be done to the signal. Just record it into the MR8 and do all the editing on the pc with N-track. You have a nice preamp and should get some good results.
As far as monitoring in the computer is concerned, there is a slight difference in sound when it is transferred to the pc. I am under the impression that this is due to the converters on the soundcard. So although you are not dependent on the soundcard to record anything, you do need it to monitor the signal in the pc. In your situation the only reason to get a mixer would be if you wanted to connect up a lot of equipment before going into the MR8, as some of these guys are doing. Otherwise, keep it simple and do all you tweaking on the pc.

Thanks morindae!

So just how much of a difference will using my crappy factory soundcard make, along with my altec lansing computer speakers? Is it worth getting some powered monitors, or is the soundcard itself more of a problem?

I have a really bad soundcard and I'm doing ok with it. You definitely need to get a decent set of monitors. Read some of the posts here concering monitors and you will see the reaction all of us experience when we upgrade from computer monitors to the powered type. These are sometimes called nearfield monitors. They make a huge difference. I have been doing some research into soundcard A/D and D/A converters (A/D is analogue to digital, D/A is digital to analogue) and it seems that this an area that is very important to have some knowledge about when choosing a soundcard. As of this moment, I don't have enough know how to give you any useful advice, but I'm working on it. So to answer your question, new monitors are a really good idea. The soundcard will probably be good enough for you to get a fairly good mix done. You may want to work with that for a while (as I am doing) until your ears get sophisticated enough to make an informed choice when it comes to upgrading your soundcard and/or computer. I hope this helps.

Back