mixer vs. 8 channel preamp

takk

I want to be able to record rock bands live. Looking to capture pretty good quality sound, nothing amazing but don't want it to sound like a demo tape.

I have Sonar, Delta 1010lt, and AudioBuddy Preamp. Currently this only allows me to record up to 4 mics simultaineously to seperate tracks. I think I will need to be able to record 12 mics simultaineously, to get drums and everything miced to individual tracks for post production.

So I definately need another audio interface and more preamps. I am looking to do this for pretty cheap for around $500 not counting cost of mics.

Should I get another Delta1010lt $199 and add a Nady PRA-8 Mic Preamp for 99$

Or is it time for me to invest in a mixer, something with a lot of XLR ins?

Any advice apprechiated,
Takk

It does depend on your budget, but personally, I would add a 44 rather than a second LT. You just need 4 more ins, and these will be balanced ins rather than the unbalanced LT's...

As for the Nady, I would sugggest you take a look at a similar product made by SMPro Audio. I have one, it's 8 ins and 99 bucks. The reason I say get that one over the Nady is because I know of a Modification you can do that drastically improves it's quality. If you wanna take a gander, check out the Mod on this page - and you don't have to be an electronics wiz to do this Mod either - all you need to do is use some wire snips and a little bit of soldering. If you're really interested in it and don't want to do it, I'll help you get it done. In any case, check this out... http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344&highlight=

If you can manage it, raise the budget and get an M Audio Octane or a Focusrite Octopre. Another option is the Beri ADA8000

Jacob

I use a Behringer ADA8000 (I know) for my live stuff I got 2 units hooked up to Alesis HD24XR they sound okay for live demo-ing, but that gives me 16(@200$per unit) tracks for live recording I'm using a lightpipe connection to the HD recorder. Then I dump it on my PC for post editing works out great for me. But if your sound qauilty is a must have I would go with the FR Octipre:o

Thanks for the advice! I have some more questions:

Good point about the Delta 44, that would save me $50 compared to the 1010lt. But then again those extra ins may come in handy at some point. Forgive me but what is the good part about having balanced vs unbalanced connections? And do the 44 and 1010lt get along together in the same PC?

As far as the pre, I don't think I want to get into mods or soldering. Out of the box how does the SMPro Audio compare to the Nady 8 channel pre? Does the SMPro also have phantom power on all channels?

So it sounds like I should be going for a preamp and not a mixer with lots of ins and channel inserts/firewire interface. What are the advantages of having a true hardware mixer vs having only pre's and the software mixer?

- Takk

Most budget minded mixers have horrible micpre's for recording unless you got alot of doe to fork out for a real recording mixers I would go for the firewire options and use your software mixer just remember you'll need Y cable for your mics or a sub snake. :o

Back