mixer to Teac, which cables?

hammerofhathor

Just got my Souncraft board back from the shop. I'm about to really use it in conjunction with some of my tape machines. This board has 2 "main outs" that are XLR, and 4 "aux" outs that are 1/4".

So, for example, if I want run a few mics through the board and want to go into the 2 RCA ins on the back of my Tascam 32 2 track, does it make more sense to go from the XLR's to the RCA or out of 2 of the aux 1/4" outs? I just haven't made this connection before, and want the best sound/least noise etc of course.

thanks!

mark

I'd go through the stereo XLR outs but be careful to keep the levels on the mixer around -15 to -10 vu on the meters as you're coming out 14 db hotter on those outputs then what the 32 is looking for with it's unbalanced, -10 db inputs.

If you have some money to throw at the situation, also consider a step down device like the TASCAM LA-40.

Cheers! :)

adaptor vs cable

So, if I want to use XLR to RCA should I hold out and order the cable as is or is it okay to use an adapter? I mean I can't find many options for XLR to RCA locally but I can find XLR to 1/4", and as well 1/4" to RCA......would this sound poopy?

mark

So, if I want to use XLR to RCA should I hold out and order the cable as is or is it okay to use an adapter? I mean I can't find many options for XLR to RCA locally but I can find XLR to 1/4", and as well 1/4" to RCA......would this sound poopy?

mark

You could make use of plug adapters, if you have them. The plug adapter itself won't adversely effect the sound one way or the other but they might prove to be more of a problematic connection as the extra weight of the adapter on the cable may stress the RCA jack on the back of the 32. Just ensure that the cable is decently supported so that the weight of the cable isn't acting like a crowbar on the jack.

Or, if you're really concerned about that, make the investment in some straight cables that don't require plug adapters.

Get the picture?

okay, no workie!!

Okay I bought some XLR to RCA cables and ran from the "main outs" on my Soundcraft to the RCA inputs on my Tascam 32.

Could not get a signal at all, even with everything cranked.

The "main outs" on the board do work because I checked with an XLR to 1/4" cable into an amp.

What gives?

mark

You started off the thread by saying you got the mixer back from repair.

What was the initial problem before you took it in?

If it was the same problem as you're having now, it would seem clear that you need to contact that shop and speak with them.

I don't know what you skill levels are at working with this board or even which board you have, as you didn't say in this thread so, let me ask you now about that. What is your proficiency with it? Do you know how to operate it? Did you just buy it as is? Do you have the manual for the board?

Some details from you will help us to help you.

Echo Ghost.

Also, how old is hte board? Did you use an XLR --> TRS cable on the amp? Was taht a balanced input? Not all XLR's are wired teh same. If the board is of any age it may have the positive signal on pin 3 and your XLR to RCA may be wired pin 2 positive in which case the signal from the board is being shorted to ground or not connected at all.

Back