Mixer to Soundcard to Mixer whoa's...

livilaNic

So I go from...

Yamaha MG10/2>Mixer REC OUT RCA to 1/8 Stereo>Soundcard LINE IN>Soundcard OUT FRONT Speakers 1/8 to RCA Stereo>Mixer IN 2TR>C-R OUT 1/4TR to RCA>Stereo Reciever(monitors).

I have S4PE and I record to left channel/miked amp. Then I record right channel/miked Amp. Now I can track though the mixer's headphone jack.

But when I go to record in stereo to a single audio track in S4. It picks up everything going into the mixer. So I would have to mute the tracks in S4.
Now I can't track throught the mixer.

Is the only way around this to Track from the Soundcard itself?

What I want to accomplish is hearing the track from Soundcard in one ear (say left) and hear the track I'm playing in the other/both. Without recording anything but what I'm playing. If that makes any sense.

I get confused with the routing of the mixer (Inserts I/O, Sends, Aux1/2, Returns L/R)for some reason.

I understand why you wouldn't want to help.
But, as I posted before I've read so much. Yet I learn nothing from confusion.

Plz leave >>>>chain type drawings.

Pictures are very helpful. I think I have a comprehension problem.

Thx again,
livilaNic

you lost me.... haha. what kind of sound card are you using?

basically for inputs, you want each channel on the mixer to have a direct out to each separate input on your soundcard right? if the mixer has direct outs, that is the best but if not there are workarounds. it sounds like you are only recording 2 tracks at once so you can use the main outs. set the pan on track one all the way to the left and set the pan on channel 2 all the way to the right. Have the right main out into insert one on your sound card, have the left main out to insert 2 on your soundcard.

minofifa said:
Basically for inputs, you want each channel on the mixer to have a direct out to each separate input on your soundcard right? It sounds like you are only recording 2 tracks at once.

No. I'm actually just recording one. XLR Channel 1 on the mixer.

All I want to do is be able to hear what is being played back. While I'm recording in stereo.

minofifa said:
Basically for inputs, you want each channel on the mixer to have a direct out to each separate input on your soundcard right?

I'm not sure do I?

Thx,
livilaNic

First of all...if you are only recording one mic, dont record in stereo. just record one mono track. Takes half of the hard drive space as a stereo track and accomplishes EXACTLY the same thing as recording in stereo. Again...this is only if you are recording with one mic, if you are using a stereo pair then proceed as you were.

In order to hear your playback while recording new tracks, come out of your soundcard into one of your stereo inputs on the mixer and use your headphones to monitor.

the direct outs that Minofifa spoke are actually the insert jacks on the back of the mixer. If you use a mono 1/4 jack and only plug it into the insert half way..(you will feel it click half way in), then connect the other end to your soundcard input. Now you can play back from the soundcard and monitor from your mixer both the playback and what you are currently recording.

Fuck YEAH!

Dude the insert was the trick! I had done it before but I used TRS. But now with a mono 1/4 to 1/8 stereo phone jack to comps LINE in it works even better then before! I had to gain it hard when I was going throught the mixer. The direct out ROX!!!

Thx guys for all the time.

You know when your told things it doesn't stick till your told a couple more well...Thats what happened here thx alot!!!

L8er,
livilaNic

Ok so I went with this.

Yamaha MG10/2>Mixer REC OUT RCA to 1/8 Stereo>Soundcard LINE IN>Soundcard OUT FRONT Speakers 1/8 to RCA Stereo>Mixer IN Channels 7/8>C-R OUT 1/4TR to RCA>Stereo Reciever(monitors)/Phones.

This way is best for my tastes.

L8er,
livilaNic

how's that mixer sound? I thought about getting one of those......I'd rather have a little mixer than just a preamp....being I'm on the cheap anyway.

TravisinFlorida said:
how's that mixer sound? I thought about getting one of those......I'd rather have a little mixer than just a preamp....being I'm on the cheap anyway.

Dude it makes my 35 watt peavey sound kick ass. I use a Nady SP-5. I have'nt tried any condensers yet. I would recommend getting one for the type of shit you do.

*edit*Yamaha MG10/2>Mixer REC OUT RCA to 1/8 Stereo>Soundcard LINE IN>Soundcard OUT FRONT Speakers 1/8 to RCA Stereo>Reciever stereo>Soundcard OUT BACK speakers stereo 1/8 to RCA>Mixer Channels 7/8>Mixer C-R OUT>Phones.

L8er,
livilaNic

TravisinFlorida said:
you got any tunes posted up yet?

LMAO. I won't for along time. I might post a lil' guitar part up for sound issues.

I get a hissy type sound. I think it might be the way I monitor so I want to see if others hear it too. It also could be that I haven't got them blended with shit yet too. Dude mixing is complicated. I still need to work in drums and bass without either. I have an old HP-600 Digi piano I could use to control some plug-ins. I just need a new soundcard.

L8er,
livilaNic

that 2496 card looks pretty good........since I've been killing myself with overtime at work, I just ordered some wharfedales 8.2a's and a 1010LT card....next is a good mic and a dmp-3 pre or a little mixer......hope it's not that mixer hissin cause I was thinkin bout gettin one.

Oh and.....what? I can embarrass myself to death by posting my shit but you ain't gonna post? man you must pretty bad. lol. (kidding)

TravisinFlorida said:
that 2496 card looks pretty good........since I've been killing myself with overtime at work, I just ordered some wharfedales 8.2a's and a 1010LT card....next is a good mic and a dmp-3 pre or a little mixer......hope it's not that mixer hissin cause I was thinkin bout gettin one.

Oh and.....what? I can embarrass myself to death by posting my shit but you ain't gonna post? man you must pretty bad. lol. (kidding)

LMAO. Koo I'm making my own monitors. I have these old ass KEF Coda III's I'm going to use for the enclosure's. And I got some yammys and a infinity tweet I'm throwin in em'. What are you usein now for phantom power?

Yeah its not the mixer. It could be the pick-ups on my guitar, the pedal I use, or just the crap amp I use. I think I'm going to look into a celestion for my amp. I've done some voice tests through the mixer and its so clear. I don't even have a great mic. I use the Nady SP-5 that MF sold for like 19 bucks or something for 3 lol. Could be the mic as well. I'll be getting a 57 soon. Doesn't the 1010LT have pre's?

Hope everything goes well for ya trav.

L8er,
livilaNic

at the moment I have an audiobuddy for a pre.....it has phantom power. the 1010lt has two xlr inputs with mic pre's and the other six inputs are unbalanced rca connections.....I hope to hell they're not noisy. I'm planning to mic a drum set later on down the road....as of now I don't have one....but I'm wishful thinking and working alot so maybe I will have.

TravisinFlorida said:
at the moment I have an audiobuddy for a pre.....it has phantom power. the 1010lt has two xlr inputs with mic pre's and the other six inputs are unbalanced rca connections.....I hope to hell they're not noisy. I'm planning to mic a drum set later on down the road....as of now I don't have one....but I'm wishful thinking and working alot so maybe I will have.

Ahh. I was wondering why you were getting a 8 I/O card.

Back