mixer/sPDIF routing quest

jman1986

ok this is mainly a sdif question, but it pertains to pro tools.

I have pro tools m-powered 7.4 with the audiophile 24/9 6PCI card.
I have 2 Behringer mixers, I am trying to be able to record 2 audio tracks simutainously. So i have an rca cable coming out of the both of the mixers, one RCA cable goes into the "ins" of the rca slot located on the pci card. On my other mixer i have the rca going out and into the "sPDIF", i can get signal from the one mixer going into the pci card, but i cannot get any singal going into the sPDIF. I no something isn't hooked up right, i've played around with the inpts in pro tools and such but i can't seem to get it working, any idea's?

thanks!

what behringer mixer?

S/PDIF is a digital connection, so you need to connect the digital output of a device into it. If the behringer doesn't have a digital output option (S/PDIF output), then it won't work.

RCA connectors can be used in both analog and digital form.

ok there is no spdif out on both of the mixers, just a normal rca in and out section.

could i get like an rca to spdif cable?

ok there is no spdif out on both of the mixers, just a normal rca in and out section.

could i get like an rca to spdif cable?

there's not a cable that will fix it for you. They are two completely different signals. The only way to connect analog to digital is with an A/D converter...which is what the Audiophile is. Your soundcard is already taking the other mixer's RCA (analog) signal and converting it into digital for your computer to understand. In order for you to get the other mixer to plug in also, you'd need another pair of RCA (analog) connections on the Audiophile...which you don't have. So the only other way to get it to work is to get a second Audiophile sound card...or a new soundcard that has more analog audio options.

Unfortunately you'll probably have to go with the latter since Pro Tools M-Powered/LE only works with one sound card at a time.

My question is are you only needing two tracks at a time? Why not just record with a single Behringer mixer? I'm guessing the Behringer allows you to plug two mics in, right?

yes one of the mixer have only 2 inputs, and the other one has 22. I just figured i shoulda used the rca out of both. but man u hit it right on the head, lol i explained everything back to me and i am glad u understand that.

Should i just get a converter then and plug them into my spdif, or i can't because of the rca jacks are taking the input and not letting the spdif.

What i was really going to do is because of my lack on inputs i was gunna try this:

have one set of RCA's be my overhead for real cymbals and the midi would be the elec drums, then the spdif as like another track for like if the bass or guitar plaer was gunna play along with the drummer for a scratch track.

Back