Mixer & Recorder Mismatch

tonyA

Help! How would one hook up a 16 track simultaneous recording HDR to a mixer with 20 ins but only 4 program outs? The ins have MIC/LINE/DIRECT OUT/INSERT ports. You see, most mixers out there within my budget at the most are 8 outs, still 8 short of what I need? How would one hook a system up like this, without the need or with the least use of plugging and unplugging with a patch bay? Any opinion would greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tony A.

Hell, I'd think you'd want a patch bay. But if you record exactly the same way every time, You could use a combination of the direct outs from individual channels and the group outs in what ever manor suits your needs.

Some on the bus outs, others on direct or insert outs, and in a pinch, aux outs. It's kludgy but doable.
Some mixers have multiple jacks per bus out, but it's no help for simultaneous tracking.
What's the mixer?
Wayne

TASCAM 520

From the way you explained in your answer, I know that you really do know your mixers. you are right, there are different buss outs/aux outs with this mixer. I have 4 aux outs, one effects outs, etc. The board is a 20X4X2X1 (TASCAM 520). I also have a FOSTEX 450 (16x4), I could use this but it would be ugly to have them side by side and I only use this (near the keyboard) as my keyboard mixer. What do you think?

You could definately use one mixer as a "front end" and the other to monitor through.

Great idea

Now that front end idea would definitely work! I have always toy'd with the idea of everthing through the other mixer. Splitting the functions is a great idea - thanks!. Only one problem, the mic pre on Fostex 450 sucks (Curious, because the Fostex 820 I had before had excellent mic preamps). I guess, if it is a microphone, it has to go through the Tascam, but for lead vocals, through a tube mic preamp - which one : SP VTB1 or the ART? I guess that should be another thread.

Back