Mixer Question

EZWriter

When I'm recording shouldn't I see input levels on the specific mixer for the track? I can see the main input level go up and down. I can see the levels for the other recorded tracks as I record along, but not input for the track being recorded. Is this standard?

When I'm recording shouldn't I see input levels on the specific mixer for the track? I can see the main input level go up and down. I can see the levels for the other recorded tracks as I record along, but not input for the track being recorded. Is this standard?

You won't see it move unless you have the monitor button selected for that track. It's the little speaker shaped button next to the Record Arm button.

Need to know a little more. What mixer, what software/DAW etc.

This is the Cubase forum, so obviously he's asking about Cubase. :D

Thanks. I still have so much latency I can't use monitor much...Especially not on background vocals. I'm getting better at adjusting the buffer though.

While I'm on mixing... Is there a simple way for me to be able to raise and lower one track's levels AFTER it's recorded so that when the song is played back that instrument or vocal goes up or down in volume on its own?

Thanks. I still have so much latency I can't use monitor much...Especially not on background vocals. I'm getting better at adjusting the buffer though.

Yeah, same here. That's what makes no-latency monitoring with your audio interface such a nice feature.

While I'm on mixing... Is there a simple way for me to be able to raise and lower one track's levels AFTER it's recorded so that when the song is played back that instrument or vocal goes up or down in volume on its own?

I must be missing something in your question because the answer is so intuitively simple!! Slide the fader up or down.

Or when you say "on its own?", do you mean to program it so the function is done automatically?? If so, then press the W button on that track play back the song and make the adjustments that you want as it plays. Then turn off the W and turn on the R and whenever you play it back, it will automatically make the adjustments for you.

It's all in the manul.

I must be missing something in your question because the answer is so intuitively simple!! Slide the fader up or down.

Or when you say "on its own?", do you mean to program it so the function is done automatically?? If so, then press the W button on that track play back the song and make the adjustments that you want as it plays. Then turn off the W and turn on the R and whenever you play it back, it will automatically make the adjustments for you.

It's all in the manul.

I know I can do something close by learning how to set up the automation but that seems pretty complicated. I guess I wasn't clear about what I want to accomplish. I want to mix ... hmmm got to think how to explain so I don't sound like an idiot. I want the tracks to REMEMBER the changes I just made so that when I export that specific track will go up and down in volume just like the changes I made while I was listening. I suppose this has to be done with automation, eh???

Last edited by a moderator:
.. I guess I wasn't clear about what I want to accomplish. I want to mix ... hmmm got to think how to explain so I don't sound like an idiot. I want the tracks to REMEMBER the changes I just made so that when I export that specific track will go up and down in volume just like the changes I made while I was listening. I suppose this has to be done with automation, eh???
That is exactly what automation is and for.

On latency- have you tried a stripped down' mode for tracking, ie turn off all mix add-on stuff, plugs, sub groups etc, then back up to normal for mix?
(I seldom DAW monitor/record but do exactly that when it comes time to print outboard verbs. Geting it down to a few ms that way..?

I know I can do something close by learning how to set up the automation but that seems pretty complicated. I guess I wasn't clear about what I want to accomplish. I want to mix ... hmmm got to think how to explain so I don't sound like an idiot. I want the tracks to REMEMBER the changes I just made so that when I export that specific track will go up and down in volume just like the changes I made while I was listening. I suppose this has to be done with automation, eh???

Yup, that's automation and that's what I explained in my previous post. Honestly, it's not complicated at all. I work on one track at a time, then when I'm done with all, I'll go back and edit because sometimes what I did for each individual track doesn't work for the whole song. It can get tedious, but not difficult.

I also fixed your quotes for you. Hope I did it right... :D

Yup, that's automation and that's what I explained in my previous post. Honestly, it's not complicated at all. I work on one track at a time, then when I'm done with all, I'll go back and edit because sometimes what I did for each individual track doesn't work for the whole song. It can get tedious, but not difficult.

I also fixed your quotes for you. Hope I did it right... :D

As an author you'd think I'd do better with quotes.:)

Back