Mixer output to headphone amp? One ear?

drbabbers

All,

I am trying to go from the 1/4 output on my multitrack via the phones out and also stereo out to my headphone amp. I am only getting sound in 1 ear of the headphones from the amp. When I connect straight into the output on 1 set of headphones I get L and R.

I understand I need a 1/4 mono to stereo cable? Can some kindly help me out or better still point me to a suitable cable?

BTW my multitrack has a single phones out and a single stereo out. The master out to my monitors is via the L + R red and white connections. I want to run both side by side!

Thanks!
D

Last edited:
^^^^^

This is where I was heading... if your input is a single jack, then it's probably a stereo one.

I don't have a headphone amp but I'd assume that it'd be a 1/4 to 1/4 sterero that you want... Depends upon your inputs/outputs, of course..

Most headphone amps require a line level input, not an input from a headphone output jack.

We will not be able to give you good advice without knowing what make and model of multi-track you have, so we can check the available outputs.

Some headphone amps offer "pass through" that pass the input signal straight through to a set of jacks. You would then connect the headphone amp inputs to the output of your multi-track/mixer, then connect your monitors to to the pass through jacks.

If your multi-track or mixer has one or more auxillary busses, it is fairly common to feed your headphone amp from one or more of these auxillaryy busses. This allows you to provide a "more me" signal to the headphone amp without disturbing your main or monitor outputs.

On my mixer, I have two pre-fader auxillary busses, and my headphone amp has two separate inputs. This allows you to create two separate headphone mixes...

Thanks all. I am using a Zoom Hd16 multitrack and a Art Headamp 4.

BTW the recommendation in the manual if the hd16 is to use the stereo sub out to output to a headphone amp. If I plug my phones into this output it works fine, just not when going through the amp. It must be the 1/4 cable I am using?

D

I understand I need a 1/4 mono to stereo cable? Can some kindly help me out or better still point me to a suitable cable?

A mono to stereo cable won't make it stereo. It'll just take your mono signal and send it to 2 channels which will be outputting exactly the same thing. That's still going to be mono. You need a stereo to stereo, with one end plugged into a stereo output, the other plugged into a stereo input.

If your respective outputs and inputs are stereo, and you're only getting it in one speaker, then you're probably using a mono cable like a guitar cable or something. You need a stereo one.

A mono to stereo cable won't make it stereo. It'll just take your mono signal and send it to 2 channels which will be outputting exactly the same thing. That's still going to be mono. You need a stereo to stereo, with one end plugged into a stereo output, the other plugged into a stereo input.

If your respective outputs and inputs are stereo, and you're only getting it in one speaker, then you're probably using a mono cable like a guitar cable or something. You need a stereo one.

Thanks for the reply. Will this do the job:

6.3mm 6.3 Stereo Jack Plug To Plug Audio Cable Gold 1m on eBay (end time 14-Feb-11 19:38:13 GMT)

?

Ta.
D

i have had that issue, as well.. my solution was to go to radio shack and just get a splitter that will take the stereo signal, and route it to mono for each output..

stereoL----------- stereoLR-------
>-mono---<
stereoR---------- stereoLR-------

im pretty sure that is what you were look for, right? lol.. its still early for me

ps.. for some reason i cannot get the spacing right on my lil diagram.. haha

Assuming 6.3 mm equals 1/4", the cable on ebay you referenced would work.

What you want is a 1/4" TRS by 1/4" TRS cable. This is also commonly known as a "stereo" cable...

Back