Mixer out preference

crazyjman

I currently mix through a small 4 channel behringer mixer and use the tape out to go to my soundcard. Is this the same as using my main outs? Should I be using one over the other? I use the tape outs mainly because of the convenience (rca jacks to my audiophile 2496 rca jacks)

Im not 100% sure but i believe that the tape outs simply tap the main outs, so whatever you hear on the main outs is being sent to the tape outs, pre fader i think though. (I.E. the master level fader will not adjust the tape out levels)

In your case, this sounds ideal, why do you ask? Are you having issues?

If I am not mistaken, tape outs on a master section almost always come post fade, so the main fader level would certainly affect them. Not only that, but if they are on their own pot, that means that the signal runs through even more circuitry, which in a Behringer is probably not the greatest idea. Then there is the whole balanced versus unbalanced thing. In the original posters case though I believe that is somewhat of a moot point since it sounds like the sound card inouts are unbalanced anyhow.

seryozha said:
In your case, this sounds ideal, why do you ask? Are you having issues?
Not really I just hadn't seen many set ups like that. As I said I originally used them for the convenience of the rca jacks but then began to wonder if there was an advantage of using the main outs. (some kind of signal level thing?...I don't know). By the sounds of it there isn't really a difference.
Thanks for the replys

Back