Mixer or Audio Interface..?

Extra cost? No, that is the price for the full Monty with Reaper. Unless you go commercial and the price increases.

I have. It was a bit menu driven for me. It 'IS' however a DAW that i consider to be as good as the big ones, from the opinions of educated members here that use it regularly. Like I said, it comes down to how you interact with the way the software is written and your particular opinion. You pretty much have to try them to know. However, if you spent all of your time trying to learn every DAW without fully understanding one, well you will be in the learning curve for 5 years easy. Feel them out. Pick one, and spend the next year or so learning everything about it before changing. IME, it takes a good 6 months of daily use before you can actually know the software enough to form an educated opinion.

Isnt it 60$ for the discounted license?

I think ill just stick with Cubase for now since it comes with Tascam, and see how it goes from there. :)

$60 is the full price for the personal use of the whole program. Even the download has no limitations like Cubase LE5 does. That does not mean it is cheaply made software. Just a different approach to marketing, that I have much respect for. Still, Cubase is my beotch. :D

Downloading it will give you all the tools needed to record. The ability to do all that you need to record, will involve many hours, possibly weeks of reading the manual, finding tutorials, and quite likely a bunch of frustration and possible hair loss. lol. Really, not kidding. It is never as easy as 'install program, press record. Play back pretty music'. There are too many variables in setting up a professional program. The lesser Daw's tend to be easier for a beginner to get started quickly, but at disadvantage of being limited. Once again, you gotta try them out and base your own opinion man. Once you get it figured out, easy as pie. Let the creativity free. :D

I would obviously say Cubase myself. But I spent a good month figuring out just how to get it setup and running correctly. Audacity is about as easy as it gets. Though it is not a program worthy of accomplishing something that compares to a pro recording. Ease of use is directly made difficult, by the amount of precise orientation and setting of parameters needed to be able to control the complexities of a pro recording. Damn, just trying to explain it sounded difficult.

An easy program will get you basics. A professional program will give you many options. Simply using a program will give you understanding of what the options are there for. This does not ever equate to easy. One must take the time to learn. Then, it will become easy.

I hope any of this made sense. I think I need to go read a manual somewhere now......:D

Oh okay, thanks!

Just a final clarification to see if i misinterpreted anything. :P With the Tascam 1800 I can:

Use Cubase/Reaper
Record 8 seperate tracks with drums
Record vocals
Record electric piano
Record guitar through the amp AND directly

In your opinion, which DAW is easier to get a grasp on as a beginner, Cubase or Reaper?

Reaper was/is the first and only DAW software I've used (before that used a BOSS BR-1600). I've barely ever looked at the manual except when I've had a very specific problem. I was recording multiple tracks, figuring out punch-in/multiple takes/editing/cross-fading/MIDI/etc,etc just by playing with the program. It's INCREDIBLY intuitive.

But if your interface comes with a "light" version of a software, by all means try it out for comparison. Mine came with Pro Tools M-Powered but I never bothered even opening the CD sleeve as I knew how expensive upgrading it would be. With Reaper you know EVERYTHING you'll get with the purchase, which sold me right off the bat. I used it for a couple weeks and bought the license.

Back