Mixer main out to Audio recorder

ekadarmawan

Hi there. Iam new member here.
and I wanna ask about something.
Lets say I wanna record audio from mixer on a live event music.
And the mixer has 2 main output.
1 main output (XLR) has already connect to the big speaker.
and theres 1 main output left unused (2 TS unbalance).
is it safe to connect my audio recorder to that mixer main output?
Some people told me that main out is not a line level. so it if I connect my audio recorder there it will damage my equipment.
And what is the correct way to do this?

You'll need to watch the levels into the recorder - what works for the feed to the main speakers may be too loud for your recorder. It's not 'line level'.

Hi there. Iam new member here.
and I wanna ask about something.
Lets say I wanna record audio from mixer on a live event music.
And the mixer has 2 main output.
1 main output (XLR) has already connect to the big speaker.
and theres 1 main output left unused (2 TS unbalance).
is it safe to connect my audio recorder to that mixer main output?
Some people told me that main out is not a line level. so it if I connect my audio recorder there it will damage my equipment.
And what is the correct way to do this?
Welcome to the forum. I don't know if it is a 'sticky' but it should be, the fact that no one can really help anyone unless we get the makes and models of the equipment involved. The way it is being used is also important.

Mixer first. Most 'Main Outs' are at a nominal 'line level' of around +4dBu (~1V rms) and have a maximum output of +22dBu (10V rms). That sort of signal level is quite likely to overload the inputs of many portable recorders which often run at -10dBV levels (316mV rms). But we don't know what the recorder is!

The second issue, "operation" involves knowing if the spare main out is controlled by the same master fader. That is a problem of course if that fader is used for controlling the main PA feed. You want a recorder to be on a "clean feed" and as far as possible at a constant level. Different mixers have differing internal signal routing arrangements and you can only know how it works by testing. Also try to find a "Signal block diagram" for the mixer.

Dave.

Many mixers also have one or more separate audio output paths called auxiliary sends.

An advantage of this for the recordist is that the recording mix doesn't have to exactly mirror the front of house mix.

In the sound check, we often get asked for a feed by video crews. The trouble is it's often the case that the output fader gets moved during the show. Levels can be set, then in the show they go much louder. I agree - an aux mix or via a matrix - L/R mirrored output as last resort, but usually you get away with it.

I have an old Yamaha MX12/4 that I use. I run the main outs to the QSC amp, and send the vocals to subchannel 4 and that fader doesn't get moved. It feeds to the Zoom R24 for the vocal feed. Works great. It was introduced in 96, and is still working perfectly. You can pick them up for about $200. Wish I had it 40 years ago.

MX12-4.jpg

Back