mixer inserts

Sonic Rat

GeetarMan
Just picked up a soundtech ST 122 mixer....I'm wondering if I can use the inserts as direct outs.........my other mixers have direct outs,so I don't really need them,but they could come in handy sometime......I believe the are post EQ,but there are jumpers that can be changed inside to make them pre,tho I don't see ever doing that....I'm guessing it would be ok,but I don't want to screw up any equipment........I know I would have to use a tip,ring.sleeve y adaptor............

You wouldn't need to get a Y-adapter, you would need the following:

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--HOSDOC10

I don't recall which is the signal in and out between the tip and ring of the insert jack, but this basically connects the tip and ring so that the signal still flows through the insert jack from output back to input, but it also send the output to the external jack as well, so you not only make a solid connection going through the insert jack, but you also get the output.

You can use an unbalance 1/4 cable and put it into the insert to just the fisrt click. This will allow a signal to go out of the mixer to your recorder without having to send a return back to the mixer. Use the mic gain to control the level going to the recorder, and you will still be able to use the faders to adjust the monitor level of the input.

Back