Mixer Help

supercharged

I'm new to the world of home recording and I'm hoping you fine folks can give me some guidance. I'm looking for a mixer to go with my fostex fd-8. I need it to be at least 8 channels (I'm going to run it through a d/a convertor, into the fd-8 for 8 track recording) with direct outs. Powered is preferred. If someone could check out this list and let me know if any would be appropriate (or just give me some suggestions) it'd be mighty appreciated. Here's the list:
http://www.ugbm.com/recmix.shtml
I'm looking something fairly inexpensive too.
Thanks!
-Doug

Yo Supercargo:

Doesn't your FTX box have a mixer built in?

I don't know all the boxes because I don't own them all.

But, most stand alones come with a mixer built in. If I'm out in orbit, it's because I've been lixiviating comments of Dobro.

Green Hornet

ftx?
the fd-8 has a mixer yeah, but i thought i would need to go mixer to d/a convertor to fd-8 to be able to record 8 tracks at a time.

The mixer in route might not be a bad idea. The mixer attached to the fd-8 is pretty sub-par. The effects returns suck, the eq is stinky, etc. I use presonus pres, rarely the fostex's, and try not to use eq much at all.

That said and done. I get fairly clean results. I just don't have as much control as a better mixer would afford me.

Using the optical in, you can use a digital mixer for additional tracks, though most digital mixers have been slammed on this board anyway. (I've never used one myself)
Fostex sells something called the vc-8 which costs 250 and converts up to 8 rca inputs to digital. So you can input with a different analogue mixer.

I don't know if it works the other way around too. (I don't know if you can control the recorded sound with with the outboard mixer after you record.) If it doesn't or if you need two, that would suck, and sort of defeats most of the purpose of buying a good mixer, except for getting decent pres.

Hope this helps more than confuses.
-Jett Rocker

Back