Mixer help req.

elko

I got a Behringer UD502 mixer today. Very cheap, but I needed a little mixer with a preamp. Anyway, I have a technical question-

If I turn the Gain up when there's no input, surely there shouldn't be huge amounts of hissing?

I'm using a M-Audio sound card with breakout cables, I don't think the problem is with my computer- I was getting a much better sound using my 4-track (a ZOOM MRS4), surely this can't be right?

Sorry if this is a bit vague, I'll be happy to give any more details.

The problem is that when I do stick a mic in, it retains all this hiss that is adding nothing to the incoming sound.

elko said:
The problem is that when I do stick a mic in, it retains all this hiss that is adding nothing to the incoming sound.

Inexpensive mixers usually sound bad if the gain is set past about 3:00. Also, make sure unused channels are muted, off, faders down, gain down, etc.

Oh, okay. I'm slightly dissapointed that any mixer would sound this bad though- I'm sure there's something not quite right with it.

Any recommendations for budget mixers that are reasonably quiet? Don't need anymore than 4track really, but ideally with phantom power...

All this presumes that the level of hiss is too high relative to your signal.
Or, 'If you push something hard enough, it will fall over.' *
?
Wayne

*FireSign Theater

Yes, you are right to presume this. It's so high as to render it not quite useless, but damned irritating.

take it/send it back. it's probably defective (behringer jokes to follow...) but i have several mixers - TAPCO, Behringer, Mackie, etc... and they're all very quiet/silent except when I have the gains (trim, channel, bus, master) all the way and even then, with no input the noise is slight. other thought - if you need to put your trim up beyond 12 o'clock to get any level, you mic may be a problem also... for me, the trim is rarely beyond 10 o'clock to get a solid level and if i'm using an outboard pre, its all the way down.

Back