Mixer help and hookup

guitarist_wo

I just purchased an Alesis Multimix 16FXD and I'm looking into doing some nice recordings for a band and then recording myself. My problem is that I'm fairly new to the PC recording deal and I think the more I read about the more I get confused. So, I thought I would post on here with the exact gear that I have and maybe someone could help me in setting it all up correctly.

Gear:
-Alesis Multimix 16FXD Mixer
-Pair of Alesis Monitor Ones powered with an Alesis RA-100 amp
-a couple of MXL condensors
-Dell 8300 with a 5.1 surround sound card (3 outputs for surround sound speakers, line in, mic in, digital out)
-Adobe Audition

My main dilemma is the mixer busses and how to monitor and record to my PC correctly. Here
is a small photo of the control area of the mixer if you need to see it. Here is the control room area of the mixer.

I will also tell you what is there:
-Digital Out
-Headphone Out
-Aux Returns (A and B, L and R)
-Aux Sends (A and B)
-Alt 3/4 Out
-2 track in
-2 track out
-Main Mix Out (L and R)
-Control Room Out (L and R)

What I want to do is control my mix that i am recording and run that into a channel on my mixer. So, that when i hit play on my recording program i can hear it from my monitors. And then i would like to monitor what is being recorded either with a headphone amp or going to my amp for my monitors. I'm trying to figure out how to run cables from my PC to my mixer. Any suggestions?? I'm not sure if that is how they do it or not. If not, then please let me know so that I can get it. I've played with it quite a bit, so I'm starting to get familiar with it. Would i be able to use the Digital Out on my sound card and run that to input of my mixer some how to monitor my main recorded mix? If anybody has any questions on my setup or gear, please ask and I will tell you as much as i can. PLEASE HELP!!!! THANKS!!

I have a yamaha mg 12/4 mixer and this is how i do it and a few suggestions:

from the channel inserts of my mixer to the inputs of my sound card. if your mixer does'nt have inserts, use the aux sends, or alt 3/4 bus out. either way, send it to the line in of your sound card.

from outputs of my sound card to the stereo inputs on one of the mixer channels.

from another set of outs on my sound card to my monitors. you can send the line out of your sound card to a stereo channel and go from the control room out, alt 3/4, or main mix out to your monitors. your mixer may be like mine in that the control room volume will control both the headphones and the control room outs. if so, hook your monitors up to the alt 3/4 bus or Main Mix out so that you can control the volumes separately. or make use of those surround outs.

in the windows mixer, set the line in of your sound card as the recording input. in audition, in multitrack view, select either the left, right, or stereo input for each track that you will be recording to. arm a track or tracks, double click inside the db meter to monitor the signals(you will see "recording" at the bottom of the screen). press the record button.

that should get you going. you do realize that you are limited to recording 2 tracks at a time with only one stereo input on your sound card don't you?

Last edited:
i was thinking of getting a PCI recording card. but i've done lots of research and don't know which one will fit me the best, i would like to have a lot of track capabilities going in and like 4 outs. if someone could help me out and point me in the right direction for an interface or a card, then that would be awesome!!!

I use the M Audio Delta 1010LT and I really like it. That'll give you 8 analog ins/outs and MIDI and digital in/out.

Back